LegacyGT.com

Trick for getting ball joint out.

So today I struggled for a couple hours replacing the drivers side ball joint on my car. I figured out a trick that made it much easier so I figured I would post it up. Once you get the retaining bolt out of the ball joint, turn the steering all the way to the side you are working on, and drive a screwdriver into the split in the knuckle. Once I did that I was able to tap it out easily. Hope this helps someone.

If you have loose steering this is something to check. the joint was absolutely trashed, at least an 3-4mm of movement in it.

^^^ Cool tool, but if the ball joints are bad enough, it'll pull the ball out of the socket.

The only way it won't work is if you broke the pinch bolt in the knuckle.

It took out ball joints for me that wouldn't budge with a 4 foot crowbar.. Actually I bent the crowbar..

TODO list on any new subaru, fill that damn hole with silicone before the ball joints get stuck.

That works great to get the ball joint off the lower arm. Doesn't do much to get it out of the knuckle. You ever done one on a subi?

Actually no, my bad. I just remember spending forever on other cars trying to get a ball joint off before realizing this tool existed, haha.

Disregard my tool choice.

http://www.anytimetools.com/himages/h200942a.jpg

I have a kit like pictured above. The large puller on the right has adjustable arms so you can position it just right and just wrench it down until it separates the ball joint off the knuckle. I use it for tie rods as well.

Just don't hover over this thing as you tighten it, once it frees the ball joint the puller tends to go flying.

Archived