LegacyGT.com

06 se wagon

baby-j

Im looking at buying 2006 5spd legacy se wagon with 120k on it one owner well maintained. What are your opinions on the car.It has 2.5 non turbo motor. I just want to know if i should wait for a turbo or a limited gt wagon? Im looking for a reliable daily driver! Really need some input!

well it's up to you to decide what you want - more power or more reliability. If you just need a DD and don't plan on spending money (thousands, not hundreds) on power mods - get the non-turbo. They are still fun to drive with 5MT. Spend money on suspension and you'll love it.

That said, 120K for 2006 means car was driven around. Mileage is not outrageous but still rather on higher end for that year. Get it checked well.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I have a 2006 2.5i SE 5MT and love it. Id like a turbo, but for a DD its a fantastic car.

I looked hard for the SE to get the moon roof, and keep the manual climate controls. All GTs and Limiteds have auto controls which make it more expensive to upgrade the stereo.

If you want a reliable DD that has AWD, gets good mileage and is still fun to drive then the 2.5i is a great choice. If you care more about being fast then hold out for a GT. IMO

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

I have a 2.5i and it's pretty good for a daily driver. Would've liked a turbo, but don't want to pay premium for gas. Plus, I have to put up with California traffic every day, so I wouldn't be able to enjoy the turbo as much.

My first Subaru was 01 OBW that I bought used w/ 162k miles from original owner and it was well maintained. Engine and tranny were pretty solid and it was one of the best used cars that I ever bought. Everything was working fine. I had to put up with the annoying CELs due to failed oxygen sensor, but they didn't seem to affect the driveability at all. I drove it everyday to work and never broke down on me. I sold it at 184k miles and replaced it with an Xterra, but I regret selling OBW to this day. I sold the Xterra less than a year later and bought my current 09 SE. During that 20k miles of ownership, the only maintenance services that I did were replacing brakes, oil changes and air filter. Someday I'd like to get another subie wagon.

I agree with what everyone has said thus far.

I have an 08 2.5i 4EAT with suspension mods. It's fun taking on/off ramps but I sure do long for a turbo. I finally took a ride in a Spec B over the summer and the power surge it has has gotten me addicted. I was smiling the whole time :D

The 2.5i is a great and reliable DD. The GT/Spec B is way more fun. You can't go wrong either way, unless you've got that turbo itch like I do. Weigh your pros and cons. Are you patient enough to wait for that GT? Can you afford the extra price for premium fuel? Do you need the car now?

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

Turbo car is more than just premium gas difference. Think about turbo's reliability which will be much less than NA motor, cost of repairs if anything happens to turbo, itch to spend money on power mods etc. Just read the 2.5T forum about all kinds of turbos going wrong and money it costs to fix. Plus getting a used GT is really a Russian roulette unless one knows the owner closely.

Want a DD - get the 2.5i. Spend the grand you don't even have on suspension and enjoy life...

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived