LegacyGT.com

Brand New Motor- start up?

I just dropped an ej255 with bench timenly into my lgt. Basically, I'm just curious if I should prime the oil somehow? I was planning on filling the oil filter but I'm not sure if there's anything else I should watch for or maybe some tips for the break in process.

I'd like to apologize in advance if there's a thread about this that I missed.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Pull the fuel pump fuse, and without the spark plugs installed crank the engine over with the starter for 15 seconds 6-8 times with a 30 second break between. Or alternatively if you have an oil pressure guage crank the motor over for 15 seconds at a time until the oil pressure comes up. You can do this with the spark plugs installed but it will turn over slower.

You can also spin the engine over with a impact gun to build oil pressure too. It's been talked about on here.

Yes ideally you want the spark plugs out so the pistons don't build pressure, pushing the rod bearings into the crankshaft. Does it really matter...may be not. But if you want to give it the best chance...

You would be surprised how long it takes for oil pressure to build. With a direct reading gauge on our race engine, it almost got to the point where we thought something was wrong before it built pressure.

So AShoe has it right.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You can also spin the engine over with a impact gun to build oil pressure too. It's been talked about on here.

Yes ideally you want the spark plugs out so the pistons don't build pressure, pushing the rod bearings into the crankshaft. Does it really matter...may be not. But if you want to give it the best chance...

You would be surprised how long it takes for oil pressure to build. With a direct reading gauge on our race engine, it almost got to the point where we thought something was wrong before it built pressure.

So AShoe has it right.

impact gun ? uh ? not sooo good .. may over tighten the bolt and or snap it off. typically the impact guys don't have torque other than the hammering force.

could use a low speed high torque drill.

but i would just start it up. because the amount of revolutions would end up being less than trying to suck oil up a tube at low speed. the engine is assembled with oil on the crank journals and stuff so its ready to go.

just start it ! its what subaru does !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived