LegacyGT.com

just purchased 08 spec b...

As the title states just purchased an 08 spec b from a non Subaru dealer today. Car has 50000 miles on it. As I was driving home today down shifted into 4th on the highway car sputtered a bit as I hit 5000k and then check engine light came on. I pulled over and the light went off. I then drove home and took my brother out for a drive. Hit 5k in 3rd and then 4th again had sputtering and the light came on again. Went to auto parts store and had code pulled. Tech told me it was 2nd cylinder misfire. I had them clear the code and I drove back home.

After a more careful look under the hood (before I had just noticed intake and the obvious sound of blow off valve) I noticed a down pipe and Cobb heat shield, the car obviously had some extensive mods.

When I test drove the car on Wed I had no problems as the revs climbed. My questions are as followed, car has 3 month power train warranty. Could it possibly be out of tune and that is what's causing the miss fire? Besides a leak down test what else should I ask to be performed? Do you think I would be out of line to demand it be inspected at a Subaru dealership? Do you think I should keep the car at this point?

I have searched , this is more just a vent now, the car pulls strong and feels solid. I really like it just wish it wasn't having issues this soon into ownership.

thanks in advance for taking the time to read my rant. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Andrew

You bought it today and to noticed this problem today? No brainer, take it back immediately and let them know what you're seeing. Start documenting everything. Don't let any grass grow under your feet.

Subaru dealer should inspect it, yes. I know this forum is to discuss cars, Legacys specifically, but anything you purchase that isn't right should be dealt with by the salesperson or owner. Hold them to it.

Some of those little dealerships require you to get it fixed with them and aren't always honest. They may come up with some bogus "spark plug being a regular maintenance" item and charge you a couple hundred bucks for something they should have noticed or done in the first place.

You think you have a warranty, but they know the contract and loopholes. Be careful. They may hit you up with copays or deductibles.

Did you talk to the previous owner? Service history? Is there a subaru dealer you could take it to for a warranty and service check?

well the good news is that you still have warranty on it, the bad news is that all of that aftermarket stuff voids it, specially when its connected to the problem. I wouldnt take it to a subaru dealership just yet. Why dont you instead try to see if there other members near you that could help by lending you their stock parts and then bring it to subaru, this way they dont have oooohhh this car is modded no warranty for you. Or like mentioned above me, no tune for the added air components.

Like authenticamd said you might be running without a tune I think from my own personal experience you have a larger turbo than stock that is untuned and you are over boosting and hitting fuel cut. That's why you are probably getting a cel at 5k rpm when you are at peak boost and which is also why it only happens when you floor it. I had a vf52 with this problem and didn't even know it got it protuned fixed all the problems

Archived