LegacyGT.com

Any tips on upgrading the sound system?

goldendeal

My 2010 Legacy has to have the worst stock stereo I have ever owned, it sounds horrible and lacks any power at all. The noise on the freeway downs it out. I want to up grade the stereo but not sure what my options are.

It looks like there is no way to put 6x9s in the back, no place to put them...replacing the deck also does not seem like a valid option...has anyone upgraded the stereo? What did you do to improve the sound?

Should I consider just replacing the stock speakers? Not sure this would do it.

The deck lacks power, so not sure if upgrading the speakers that are already in there would actually do much.

Return vehicle for one with the harmon kardon system. Im pretty happy with it for normal listening and im past the "soo much bass i didnt even know there was any lyrics" stage. I prefer quality and crispness over bass any day but the harmon kardon system does a decent job of producing it when needed.

Or change the speakers.

O

Well, don’t really want to get rid of the car just for a stereo upgrade, I wonder if the dealership can put a Harman Kardon system in my vehicle.....still, I’m stuck with weak 4 6x5 stock speakers...3 way 6x9s in the back would be nice, although the crappy deck does not have enough power to push them....I’m like you though...I don’t care for overkill on the bass , just want a good sounding system in the car....wish i would have noticed you cant put speakers in the back before I bought it...Subaru should be ashamed of themselves with the flimsy stock system

Well, don’t really want to get rid of the car just for a stereo upgrade, I wonder if the dealership can put a Harman Kardon system in my vehicle.....still, I’m stuck with weak 4 6x5 stock speakers...3 way 6x9s in the back would be nice, although the crappy deck does not have enough power to push them....I’m like you though...I don’t care for overkill on the bass , just want a good sounding system in the car....wish i would have noticed you cant put speakers in the back before I bought it...Subaru should be ashamed of themselves with the flimsy stock system

I just replaced my rear speakers with Infinity Kappas, to find that the stock hu has NO power AT ALL!

I'll let you know what they sound like when my pioneer hu gets back from the factory on monday. I will be doing the front speakers then as well.

I might end up wiring in an amp and sub, but I'm not sure yet. It depends on the sound.

Ehsnils I think I was subconsciously thinking harmony? No, no that wasn't it at all! Good catch! At any rate, you might find that having the dealer install the harman kardon system may be not only extremely expensive but probably more hassle than its worth given the issues you have been having there. I would go the route of others and begin upgrading your head unit and speakers as you see fit.

Good luck

O

My 2010 Legacy has to have the worst stock stereo I have ever owned, it sounds horrible and lacks any power at all. The noise on the freeway downs it out. I want to up grade the stereo but not sure what my options are.

It looks like there is no way to put 6x9s in the back, no place to put them...replacing the deck also does not seem like a valid option...has anyone upgraded the stereo? What did you do to improve the sound?

Should I consider just replacing the stock speakers? Not sure this would do it.

The deck lacks power, so not sure if upgrading the speakers that are already in there would actually do much.

1) Nobody uses 6x9s why would you want to? 6.5" coaxial fit in the rear doors. But that shouldn't even matter because all you really want to do is upgrade the front speakers.

2) Obviously replacing the deck is an option.. It's not the option to give you the biggest boost in sound quality tho.

3) I must put this as bluntly as possible -- ONLY MORONS HERE upgrade the speakers without adding an amplifier.

Add a JBL MS 8 to your system tune for twenty minutes and enjoy. If you have doubts YouTube it, or you can come and listen to my car. It is the difference of night and day to start with. Do it, and your done. :)

I never seen anyone blow money like this guy before.

The MS8 is a complete waste of money if you are using the factory system.

I think it runs for like $600?

I can build an entire system for $600 that would blow an EQed factory system out of the water.

I have the excelon series kenwood performance series in my 02legacy 6.5 components up front and 3ways in the rear powered by an alpine mrp300 amp and its almost equivalent to the harmon system in my '10legacy gt...

as said above the only way to realllllyyyy improve sound is by getting a 4channel amp of some sort your mids-highs will be great but them for some punch just buy a small monoamp with a 10inch woofer from a pawn shop or something since there's no reason to blow a ton of money

I think you'll be happier that way and any aftermarket deck will give youvmore abilitybto adjust the equalizer for your own ears...just my 2cents

So, if I upgraded the speakers and put in a 4 way amp...will that do the trick?

Where do you suppose they would put the amp? Under the seat?

I don’t think I want to replace the deck as dash area never looks good after that and I want the controls for the stereo on the steering wheel to continue to work.

I don’t think I will upgrade the little speakers in the front dash area...I can’t hear much coming out of them anyway. If I just put an amp in without replacing the cheap stock speakers in the doors I may run the risk of blowing them out, so would have to replace anyway.

As far as 6x9 speakers that nobody uses? I had 3 way 6x9’s in the back of my last vehicle and it made all the difference in the world. Had great sound in that car.

To me 6x9 is the way to go, just can’t do that in a Legacy…im stuck with smaller door speakers. The tinny sound coming from my Legacy is driving me crazy. At around 25 on the volume dial it gets distorted and sounds horrible.

Ya that seems to he the way to go. 4channel under your drivers seat is where mine is located. Id reccomend going a car audio store to hear the different brands to get whats best to your ears write down the models and ask what style amp would be best. Then order the type on amazon and go back to have them installed. My car has roughly $3000+ of equipment that I paid less than 1000 for, same with my truck bout 1400$ that only cost maybe 350 which an install should the 175-250....illvget the model of the ones in my truck I think you'd enjoy those ill post again

Anyone thinking about upgrading their stereo with little experience needs to get away from the 2010 Legacy specific forum and move to the audio section or a dedicated car audio forum. This section has the most useless advice and people who by the worst mainstream products.

There is A LOT to know about car audio or you are just burning money.

So, if I upgraded the speakers and put in a 4 way amp...will that do the trick?

If you don't want any bass.

Where do you suppose they would put the amp? Under the seat?
The best place is in the trunk. That is where you should want it.

I don’t think I want to replace the deck as dash area never looks good after that and I want the controls for the stereo on the steering wheel to continue to work.
Aftermarket decks now have addons to use the steering wheel controls.

You don't need to upgrade the headunit.. You can buy an amp with HIGH-LEVEL INPUTS or you can by a processor like the MS8, ThreeSixty,BitOne, etc.. They will take the high-level inputs from the deck and give you RCAs to add your amps.

I don’t think I will upgrade the little speakers in the front dash area...I can’t hear much coming out of them anyway.
If you have the base system you aren't hearing "much" from those tweeters because they don't exist in your car.

If you had the premium system those would be your tweeters and they are just as important to upgrade as the midbass speakers in the doors.

As far as 6x9 speakers that nobody uses? I had 3 way 6x9’s in the back of my last vehicle and it made all the difference in the world. Had great sound in that car.

To me 6x9 is the way to go, just can’t do that in a Legacy…im stuck with smaller door speakers.

Well you are wrong.. A round speaker will always produce more accurate sound.

People convert 6x9 to 6.5" every chance they get.

Being stuck with 6.5" is not a negative, it will save you work, give you better sound and give you a lot more options.

You buy coaxial 6.5" for the rear doors and 6.5" components for the front.

Goldendeal - Have a look at this post. I have put some pics of my Alpine upgraded sound. Its a basic off-the-shelf upgrade with all door speakers upgraded and an amp with a neat box sub that doesnt destroy the boot space. Its chalk n cheese compared to the stock speaker system. I didnt change the basic head unit. Its not the best but it does the job.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replaced-stock-speakers-2-5i-premium-legacy-164147p4.html?highlight=alpine

Ok we can agree to disagree about the 6x9's, had them through many cars and loved it.

I will most likely upgrade the speakers, keep the weak deck but I will have to go to a shop that specializes in car stereos as I saw a thread by BobGee about the trouble he had.....

"If you plan to upgrade the speakers in your doors or have tint put on your windows.

The window frames are covered in a black plastic material.

When removing or replacing the door panel it's easy to scratch the material if the panel is able to rub against it.

The material can not be repaired or replaced.

Finally got the tint/audio shop to agree to replace the entire door"

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/beware-pulling-off-putting-door-panels-171521.html?

This rules out places like Best Buy or any large big box electronic store... I don’t need a kid right out of stereo installation 101 course to do the install. So, you’re saying I don’t have the tweeters in the front dash? maybe thats why I heard nothing coming from the front dash area.

Goldendeal - Have a look at this post. I have put some pics of my Alpine upgraded sound. Its a basic off-the-shelf upgrade with all door speakers upgraded and an amp with a neat box sub that doesnt destroy the boot space. Its chalk n cheese compared to the stock speaker system. I didnt change the basic head unit. Its not the best but it does the job.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/replaced-stock-speakers-2-5i-premium-legacy-164147p4.html?highlight=alpine

Thats pretty cool right there, a bit too detailed for me to pull off though...but I like it.

Ok we can agree to disagree about the 6x9's, had them through many cars and loved it.

Never in the history of electromagnetic transducers has an oval speaker outperformed a comparable round speaker. Otherwise we'd all be using 4x10's.

This rules out places like Best Buy or any large big box electronic store... I don’t need a kid right out of stereo installation 101 course to do the install.

These guys are very competent with basic installs, hence the lifetime guarantee. Tape a note with info about the frames to the window, they'll be fine.

Thats pretty cool right there, a bit too detailed for me to pull off though...but I like it.

Golden, Its actually an off-the-shelf system. Since Alpine is made in the States I would assume it would be much easier for you to locate the components. Nothings custom made - even the sub box with its funky blue light.

Buy quality 6.5" components up front. Even moderately-priced aftermarket will beat out OEM stuff. Go to a shop and listen to them. Buy what you like that falls in your budget. When you listen, make sure that you are hearing them off of HU power and not an amp. Make them turn off any subs. Some shops will "cheat" you and have a sub running and will (by default) run speakers in the board off of an amp. Make them bypass that amp and cut out any subs so that you get as close to a real-world power situation as possible.

Anything that sounds good off of just a HU will sound even better when properly amplified.

If you want to spend extra money, THEN worry about changing out rear speakers. If not, put that money toward the front stage.

Work out that part first and then see how things sound before adding an amp, sub(s), rear fill, etc.

I was amazed at how much better my WRX sounded by just upgrading to some mid-level Rainbow components up front, still powered by just the HU. it was a night-and-day difference.

And you know where to go to find the mounting adapters/spacers...

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

• 4 weeks later...
The ones in my truck are kenwood kfc-x173 peak at 240watts and have them connected to a kicker zx350.4 and its plenty good power and sound for me, speakers are really clear with smooth bass none of that punchy garbage

I couldn't resist:) :

You should never expect "Quality" out of an "OEM Sound System" even if it is a "Premium" one.

This should fix your "Road Noise" issue: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

You wan't to upgrade the Sound System, but don't know what your options are? We can not give you any options if you don't list Budget, Objective, & any other additional details.

What's up with the 6 x 9's on the rear deck? You expect to get descent imaging from the back of your head?

No, please do not return your vehicle for one with a "Harman kardon" system. Why would you replace your stock system w/ another stock system? Yes, I know taste is subjective, but I think all Infinity tweeters sound like aluminum cans.

All vehicle manufacturers should be ashamed of their Audio Systems.

JBL MS-8-Great Module along with Audison's Bitone. Gotta' love Auto-Tune-holy grail of DSP

Replacing the deck is not always the biggest boost in Sound Quality, but it works in the OP's application under the OP's circumstances.

All you want to do is upgrade your front speakers? Good, forget about "rear fill" & focus on your front speakers. I mean do you sit in the back when you drive? Ever go to a concert? Generally, where are the speakers. You got it! In front of you! Car/Mobile Audio Applications are different vs Home Theater. If you plan on jammin' out to your favorite MP3's than focus on your front stage, but if you plan on watching movies on the road than by all means, head w/ Surround. And if you are wondering, Sub woofer(s) are not considered "rear fill" so do not forget about them as most of your 5" to 6" drivers struggle at anything below 60 hz. Frequencies that Sub woofer(s) play are low enough to be NON directional.

In this thread, you can NOT say the MS-8 is a complete waste of money because the OP didn't list a budget. His dollar value is most likely different than yours. You may be able to build an entire system for less than $600 but it will sound like sh*t if you can not tune it, especially if you are dealing with Active X-Overs, EQ, T/A, etc. & judging by the Posts in this thread that the OP has given, I take it he/she is no Pro when it comes to applying Audio in the cabin of a vehicle

Amplifier Mounting? Keep Temperature, Humidity, & Moisture in mind when choosing a location to mount your amplifier(s). You should find a place where your amplifier(s) will be out of the way & a location where you can secure it properly. Ease of access is another thing to keep in mind. Mounting underneath seat is an option, but make sure the amplifier has air. Also, when figuring location, keep in mind a place to "Ground" amplifier:)

Wrong, he/she can "achieve bass" when using a 4-Channel amplifier. Who's to say the OP can't run a set of Passive Components off channels 1 & 2 and bridge channels 3 & 4 for a single Sub woofer.

Correct, a Non circular speaker will often distort much quicker vs one where the speaker is circular. Why? BECAUSE SOUND WAVES ARE ROUND!

My opinion, stay away from Best Buy. Head to an actual Car Audio Shop, but I would highly recommend you to go DIY. You will learn quite a bit & save yourself a LOT of money. However, you REALLY need to be careful whom you listen to because judging by some of the Posts on this thread, there is a lot of false info going around.

Phenryivi1 is Correct, Go out an Audition as many speakers as you can. Speakers are like Candy each one having its own flavor. You can research & read all the reviews you want, but what may sound good to you may sound poor to another so its all up to YOU.

Before anyone says it "You can not go about choosing a set of speakers to the type of Genre he or she listens to."

Archived