LegacyGT.com

reducing drivetrain movement

Ok everyone, after installing my comp stage 3 clutch in my car, ive run into what isnt really a problem at the moment but very annoying. Everytime I let the slutch out easy in traffic or off a cold start the engine and transmission shake like theres no tomorrow, now I was thinking of the Group N trans mount and torque solution pitch stop mount to reduce this movement to almost nothing. Would anyone else recommend something different to do instead since sometimes its almost as if the transmission is hitting the actual trans tunnel under the center console and it really does get annoying in DC/NOVA traffic.

Those two pieces should be more than enough. I put a STI tranny mount in my 05 back in Aug 04 and it made a world of difference. I also put one in my 09 Spec B and it made no difference.

When the 05 hits bumps on the highway the shifter never moves, when the Spec hits the same bumps the shifter moves.

The 05 has less drivetrain movement under full power when shifting. I would do the lower mount first then if you want more go with the pitch stop.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What did you expect from such a harsh clutch?

Mount the engine/trans more solidly to the chassis, and you'll get even MORE vibration in the seat of your pants.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I should may be add that the 05 has a OEM STS and the Spec has the stock shifter. Don't know if the shifter bushings help to keep it from moving over bumps in the road.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

What did you expect from such a harsh clutch?

Mount the engine/trans more solidly to the chassis, and you'll get even MORE vibration in the seat of your pants.

I'm not expecting to get rid of it, I just would like to lessen it so it doesn't feel like the engine and trans are going to jump out of the car. I expected to have drivetrain movement with it from the start. That's why i said it wasn't a problem its just somewhat annoying so i wanted to see what i could do to lessen it.

Unfortunately, clutch shudder is somewhat par for course.

You could consider STi Group-N or Cusco engine mounts to help prevent actual movement. But the vibration of shudder will likely not go away.

At least you didn't get a lightweight flywheel, so look kindly on that!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I should may be add that the 05 has a OEM STS and the Spec has the stock shifter. Don't know if the shifter bushings help to keep it from moving over bumps in the road.

It may slightly i did notice reduced movement in mine after the kartboy bushings and Cobb STS

Unfortunately, clutch shudder is somewhat par for course.

You could consider STi Group-N or Cusco engine mounts to help prevent actual movement. But the vibration of shudder will likely not go away.

At least you didn't get a lightweight flywheel, so look kindly on that!

I was thinking of adding the Group N engine mounts as well. like i said i know there's no getting rid of it. But the flywheel is the comp clutch steel one which is still lighter than my OEM one but nothing like the aluminum, I don't think I want to know how bad that one would be. My old DSM had a aluminum ACT with ACT stage 3 and it vibrated nowhere near as much but was also FWD with poly motor and trans mounts as well

Archived