LegacyGT.com

Replacing Rear Driveshaft?

'07 LGT, 5eat

I have a vibration that I believe is coming from the rear driveshaft (not CV shafts). I placed the car on 4 jackstands, removed wheels and brake rotors, ran the car in gear and inspected the driveshaft while running.

The shaft had a visible wobble (I will measure run-out and report later). The car has a fairly strong vibration that is cyclical (indicative of a driveshaft problem). I even used the iPhone with the iSeismometer app to make sure I wasn't crazy. The phone has accelerometers, the app can be used to measure vibration and provide FFT of frequency. The vibration is at driveshaft speed.

Looking for:

1.) how many have had to replace/rebuild their rear shaft?

2.) any good shops that do this work in Colorado?

3.) Prices on new and/or rebuilt two piece shaft

Notes: The stock shaft has the U-Joint peened into the drvieshaft and flange, so it is not easily serviceable (machining is required to remove the U-joint).

its easiest just to replace the whole shaft. removing it is easy. you can do it yourself. drop the exhaust, 4 bolts on the rear diff flange and 2 bolts for the u-joint. then just pull it out of the trans.

you should be able to find a used one.

Make that 4 nut's with lock washers on the rear end of the drive shaft.

After the exhaust is lowered, you may need to remove the heat shield, FYI I left the heat shield out on my DD the 05 wagon. The bolts tend to rust and break off.

You say you have jack stands so this should be a job you can do.

Do a web search for a used drive shaft or contact Fred Beans Subaru for a good price.

I found this site, http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Subaru_Legacy_Driveshaft_2007.php

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make that 4 nut's with lock washers on the rear end of the drive shaft.

After the exhaust is lowered, you may need to remove the heat shield, FYI I left the heat shield out on my DD the 05 wagon. The bolts tend to rust and break off.

You say you have jack stands so this should be a job you can do.

Do a web search for a used drive shaft or contact Fred Beans Subaru for a good price.

I found this site, http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/Subaru_Legacy_Driveshaft_2007.php

Thanks, I'll check 'em out. I will certainly do the job myself, just wanted to know if this is a common problem, 64k on the car I wouldn't expect the d-shaft to have these issues. I called a driveline shop in Denver after some searching , they can re-build with new U-Joints, balance, straighten, for $235 (Rocky Mountain Driveline). THey handle Subaru stuff all the time so I hope they will do a good job.

• 1 year later...

Had vibration at low speeds that progressively got worse. Jacked it up and noticed a bit of play but nothing to alarming didnt think it was the cause. After having it inspected by a couple different shops, I finally accepted that the problem was in fact the drive shaft. Found a company online that specializes in driveshafts and seem to have a pretty good reputation on these forums. Sense I wasnt to willing to buy a new one for the dealers crazy price! or a used one off some car that had been junked or something, I decided to give them a shot. Happy to report I was extremely happy with the way things turned out, got a brand NEW driveshaft for about $460.00, had it installed the after receiving it. Considering what I was gonna pay to have it installed, needless to say I wanted it to work. One of my fears of buying a used one was having it fail shortly after install and having to pay again to have it re installed. 5K miles later and still have a happy Subaru and my wallet is still happy too. Anybody needing a driveshaft should check these guys out!

SUBARU DRIVESHAFT

Archived