LegacyGT.com

Timing belt kits & water pumps

old style 90 - 97, this one usually does not need to be replaced unless it is leaking or has no tension when compressed.

http://www244.pair.com/oldguys/T60400a.jpg

below, new style, 98 - until, this usually does need to be replaced. and you need to be very careful when compressing it if you do not replace it. they are easy to screw up if done wrong.

the actual change date may be iffy, so check which one you have before you order.

http://cnsautoparts-ebay.codepremise.com/attachments/0001/1160/460-7253-2.jpg

thanks for the speedy replies!!!! My car does have the new style one but it is a 1997. I believe my tensioner bracket has the right holes for the old style, are they not interchangeable? Mostly just curious now. I'll be buying the new style again.

• 3 weeks later...

I am doing my timing belt on my ej22 right now and I kinda screwed up. I numbed it hardcore and took the belt off before lining up the marks. Super rookie mistake :( So anyway, I read your post detailing that you can turn the cams freely as long as the crank is in the correct position. and that you can turn the crank freely as long as teh cams are in the correct position. Unfortunately, my car has both the cams and the crank in the wrong position. I have edited one of your images to show with red lines the positions of my shafts: http://i.imgur.com/JK4BH.gif. I am not sure what method to use to get them in postion without interference.

http://i.imgur.com/JK4BH.gif

I am doing my timing belt on my ej22 right now and I kinda screwed up. I numbed it hardcore and took the belt off before lining up the marks. Super rookie mistake :( So anyway, I read your post detailing that you can turn the cams freely as long as the crank is in the correct position. and that you can turn the crank freely as long as teh cams are in the correct position. Unfortunately, my car has both the cams and the crank in the wrong position. I have edited one of your images to show with red lines the positions of my shafts: http://i.imgur.com/JK4BH.gif. I am not sure what method to use to get them in postion without interference.

What year is your engine? If it's pre 1997, just rotate it, it's not an interference engine

I do have a 97 and I know its "non-interference" however refering to the post a few above,

"but if you start with the crank in the correct position, there is no way to have valve damage in an ej22 or an ej25 SOHC."

"with the crank in the correct position, and the belt off, you can turn the driver side cam either direction to its relaxed position, all valves closed. (you can turn either cam either direction as many times as you want as long as the crank is in the correct position.)

once the cams are both at rest, you can turn the crank either direction with no worries. again, this is the ej series SOHC."

He clearly states that as long as the crank OR the cam is in the correct position, no worries. However, both my cam AND my crank are in the wrong position.

Those instructions apply to interference engines, which my 97 is.

If you are 100% sure your 97 engine is non-interference, you can move them, there is no possible combination of cam and crank positions where the valves will collide. However, I think if it is in fact a 97 EJ22, it's interference

Alright then I may have been mistaken about what I said before, that my engine is non interference. Is there an easy way to tell if my ej22 is interference or not?

I know the car chassis is a 1997 but the dealership I bought it from did an engine swap before I got it so I suppose they could have put in an engine from a different year.

stop, wait!

turn the crank counter clock wise until the red mark in the pic is straight down. this will move ALL pistons away from the valves and set them, the pistons, at mid-stroke.

then rotate the cams to the correct positions. the driver cam will be under load when it is in the correct timing position. i would turn it a little farther until it snaps. at that point the all the valves will be closed.

whit both cams at rest, no load, all valves will be closed, now you can rotate the crank to its correct position.

questions?

when the timing mark on the crank sprocket is straight up or down, thew pistons are at mid-stroke (they pass the mid point twice on each rotation. once on the way up and once on the way back down.) and there is no way the valves can hit. so you want to move the crank to a safe position first. then moving the cams is easy and danger free.

on the ej25 96 - 99, you also have to be careful when moving the cams since the valves can bump into each other.

Thank you thank you.

You are my savior :)

Do you happen to know a way to check what year an EJ22 is?

And, just to be sure, absolutely sure, the timing mark on the crank, and not the piston mark, right? So, not the arrow.

Just finished putting it all back together. It started right up!!

Thanks again everyone that helped me out.

It is VERY much appreciated.

The local garage quoted this job as $1300... I just did it for under $300 :)

Archived