LegacyGT.com

Gauge Cluster Questions

Ok, have a few different issues. The speedometer doesn't work, which seems to be a pretty common issue. I'm not too concerned about that right now as I have GPS, however I did pull it out and look around in it to see if I could find any issues. Someone had already pulled it and tried the screw-in-the-blue-plastic-connector trick seemingly without success. I checked for continuity everywhere and couldn't find any open connections, checked the diodes and resistors and everything checked out. Must either be the chips, wiring, or speed sensor. Will likely try a new cluster before long as that seems to be the trick.

My real question is on the tach though. Haven't been able to find anything on this issue. The tach is extremely sluggish. I'm talking like it would probably take somewhere around 20 seconds or maybe even much more for it to read the proper RPM.

The only possible reason I can think of for this occurring is because I put an Impreza engine in there (1997 2.2) but... I really doubt it. I didn't notice any differences while looking them over. I could definitely be wrong though as I'm brand new to Subaru's. :lol:

Anyone experience this before or have any ideas that I could try to get this thing working?

Just figured it out... I should have checked the needle. Thought I did but definitely did not. Needle was difficult to move, something wrong inside the motor from what I can tell.

Fortunately had an extra cluster that I bought for the Impreza, swapped some stuff around, and have it working again.

They arent too bad to do

Yeah, just finished. Permatex The Right Stuff... best gasket maker/sealer ever lol. Should keep it sealed for quite a while, at least until I can get new gaskets.

If you give it a bit to drain you should have next to no oil come out when you remove the valve cover.

I had similar trouble with the speedometer on my wife's 99 outback. I tried the screw method at first and it worked for a couple days, then quit. So, I took the cluster back out, removed the screw from the plastic connector and fixed it the right way by soldering a small piece of wire from/to the solder joints on the board bypassing the imprinted circuitry. That has fixed the problem for the last 7k miles.

OK. anyone have anyidea if i can get a new tech that will be able to show me the rev limit for when i do my H6 swap. I know the EG3.3 is a way higher reving engine. @_@ i've no clue what to do for that. Didn't wanna start new thread so sorry for thread jack.

• I Donated
No way to really get another tach unless you had an aftermarket one that was separate from your gauge cluster. You know the big ricey ones wiht the shift light? lol

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Looks like 6500 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Subaru-SVX-Gauge-Cluster-/220839405545?hash=item336b0de7e9&item=220839405545&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

You could probably get an SVX gauge cluster and just swap the board to your current cluster so that it reads the 6 cylinder signal properly. Not positive, but it might work.

• I Donated
Try swapping a cluster from and 3rd gen H6 outback

I've tried wiring in clusters from different generations...its umm....difficult to say the least.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived