LegacyGT.com

Power Steering issues

Similar issue. Car has ~93k miles. Today is our first day of what we call "real cold" down here although, truth be told it isn't that cold (about 30 degrees). Fired up the '05 LGT this morning and didn't really hear anything that sounded off. I let it warm up for 10 minutes or so then went to pull out and got the classic power steering noise, like it's low on fluid. Problem is, it isn't or doesn't appear to be and I there isn't a drop in the driveway.

So my inquiring mind wants to know. What do the masses think? Cold weather plus belt tension causing the pump to shell out? Gearbox problem? A quick spin down the street and back didn't make it any better. Whatever the issue is, it continues happening once it's warmed up and it's constant. I guess it should also be noted that the car also makes a loud screech when you fire it up in the cold. Only happens on cold days. Not sure if it's pertinent, but we don't get a lot of cold days around here so it wasn't something I've taken the time to troubleshoot.

Cold won't effect the pump, trust me on that one. The tension on the belt will. Also sounds like the other belt may be loose if it makes noise at start up. OR your starter is going. Mine made that noise after it started for over a year. Would only do it when it was cold out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, may have mislead on that one. It doesn't make a noise on startup per say, I just mean that it was immediately apparent after turning on the car, I didn't have to wait for it to start making noise. I'll see if the local O'Reilly's or similar has the o-ring and cross my fingers.

Ugh, forget it. Pulled the engine cover and the freaking fuel line on the driver's side of the motor is absolutely pouring fuel. If it was the normal 70 degrees outside like it is the other 355 days of the year I'd probably go ahead and tackle all of it, but this is the first hard snap we've had and I just don't feel like screwing with it in 30 degree temps. Yay.

I know the feeling. The car has basically been parked in the driveway for the last 5 days while I get the garage cleared out enough for me to get the car in. I go to pull the car in yesterday and the power steering isn't making any noise... mind you it was about 35 degrees warmer than the day it gave me a problem, so I do think that the cold weather is a factor. Interestingly enough, I rode to the gun range on Saturday with a friend of mine who has a 2009 STi and his PS is making the same noise mine was. After his car gets warmed up, the noise mostly goes away. Of course he's still under warranty and mine just expired. :(

Now if I could just figure out how to get the intake manifold off... I'd knock it all out at once.

I know the feeling. The car has basically been parked in the driveway for the last 5 days while I get the garage cleared out enough for me to get the car in. I go to pull the car in yesterday and the power steering isn't making any noise... mind you it was about 35 degrees warmer than the day it gave me a problem, so I do think that the cold weather is a factor. Interestingly enough, I rode to the gun range on Saturday with a friend of mine who has a 2009 STi and his PS is making the same noise mine was. After his car gets warmed up, the noise mostly goes away. Of course he's still under warranty and mine just expired. :(

Now if I could just figure out how to get the intake manifold off... I'd knock it all out at once.

You just need to drain and flush system and I'm sure problem will go away. PS fluid needs to be changed also just like any other fluid in your car.

Also you don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace the o-rings, you just need to disconnect enough stuff to lift one side at a time, that's how we did mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Also you don't need to remove the intake manifold to replace the o-rings, you just need to disconnect enough stuff to lift one side at a time, that's how we did mine.

I know. I'm taking the manifold off to fix all of the fuel lines that are pouring gas out on the ground, yay.

ViscousSquirrel, since I've got the whole thing torn apart I'll probably check the pump o-ring and drain it at the same time. That's a good call there, because it wasn't something I was going to bother with. As long as I've got the engine bay half torn apart I might as well get it done... and the banjo bolt going to the turbo.

I'm also wondering if the Subaru dealer didn't top off the fluid the last time I was in there because it looks like it has overflowed the reservoir at some point recently and certainly haven't added any. As it stands right now, sitting in the garage the fluid level is at Hot Min.

I know. I'm taking the manifold off to fix all of the fuel lines that are pouring gas out on the ground, yay.

ViscousSquirrel, since I've got the whole thing torn apart I'll probably check the pump o-ring and drain it at the same time. That's a good call there, because it wasn't something I was going to bother with. As long as I've got the engine bay half torn apart I might as well get it done... and the banjo bolt going to the turbo.

I'm also wondering if the Subaru dealer didn't top off the fluid the last time I was in there because it looks like it has overflowed the reservoir at some point recently and certainly haven't added any. As it stands right now, sitting in the garage the fluid level is at Hot Min.

I must have missed the post about the gas pouring onto the ground.

You mentioned the banjo bolt going to the turbo, are you looking to remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back to the head ?

If the PS fluid level is sitting at Hot Min, was the car just truned off ? If the dealership did top it off last time did they over fill it ?

I must have missed the post about the gas pouring onto the ground.

You mentioned the banjo bolt going to the turbo, are you looking to remove the filter from the banjo bolt on the back to the head ?

If the PS fluid level is sitting at Hot Min, was the car just truned off ? If the dealership did top it off last time did they over fill it ?

No sweat. It was on the previous page. Basically when the the PS problem cropped up last week I was looking in the engine bay and the fuel lines were dripping at the clamps. What sucks even more is that when I pulled it in the garage on Sunday temps were about 40 degrees warmer and I didn't notice the power steering noise at all and the fuel lines weren't leaking. That said, it'll be cold again soon and it's got to be fixed so I'm going to knock it out while the wife is still on maternity leave and we can get by with one car.

As for the banjo bolt, I just figured since I had it all apart and it was a cinch to get to, it'd be a good time to pull it and clean the filter.

The PS res. is at Hot Min with the car off and cold. All I know is that I haven't topped it off, and the dealer has been doing the service work on it for the last couple of years so if it was overfilled by anyone, it was overfilled by them. Can I prove it? Pffft.

What I did for the leaking fuel lines was take some lock wire and use it with lockwire pliers to tighten up the hose by #2 Injector.

I have photos of it somewhere on here. I did that a while back. None of the other hose are leaking, it only leaked when it was cold out. Above 30F it didn't seem to be a issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to follow-up on this. The o-ring diagnosis was spot on. AFTER getting the fuel lines replaced and the intake back on (which was a mother B---- by the way) I went ahead and dealt with the power steering issue. For anyone that might be looking for symptoms, in my case the top of the pump was greasy/dirty. You could grab onto the hose and plastic fitting at the top of the pump and move it, and when you did you'd see a gap between the plastic fitting and the pump itself.

I Went down to the local hardware store and picked up a multi-pack of o-rings and pressed it all back together. No more leak, no more noise. Took a bit for the rack to finally settle down but it appears to be back to normal now.

Anyway gents, appreciate the assistance. I owe you guys a 6 pack. :)

sounds like my problem (squealing noise immediately after starting the car and steering wheel is jerky when turning) all started when temps dropped into the 30s, and it goes away once it warms up. Will start with the O-ring and hope that's it. If not, I'll be back... Thanks to all who contributed to this post!

sounds like my problem (squealing noise immediately after starting the car and steering wheel is jerky when turning) all started when temps dropped into the 30s, and it goes away once it warms up. Will start with the O-ring and hope that's it. If not, I'll be back... Thanks to all who contributed to this post!

squealing noise and jerky wheel would indicate loose or bad belt

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Beter than my solution-

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/cusco-awd/whitemirage/a6d6f0f3.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/cusco-awd/whitemirage/02e5a4e4.jpg

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c91/cusco-awd/whitemirage/e61572e5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've replaced mine at 60k miles, the bearing seal was leaking too. I'm at 105k miles now and it's starting to leak a little again.:mad:

Tips when installing a new P/S pump:

- Replace the O-ring

- Replace the fluid - IIRC, our cars don't use the typical P/S fluid, it recommends Dexron 5 auto transimission fluid. Check your manual.

- Prime the system by turning on the car, then turning your steering wheel slowly to one side until it stops, then it back the other side. You may notice some air bubbles in the reservoir. Keep the fluid levels at the Max indicator. Repeat until you see no more air bubbles in the reservoir.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived