LegacyGT.com

Why do we disguise license plates?

The OP brings up a great point. If I thought anyone wanted to jack my car I'd throw a pic up of the license plate and say if you find it you can have it. I'm calling bullsheviks though.

seriously if some one goes through that much hassle to find the car they can have it, its obviously worth more to them then it is to me.

I used to have an Integra I had fully modded to run in the old STS class at auto-x. I posted every single one of my mods with photos, walkthroughs, etc. on a couple different forums, never blurred my plate. Then one day I notice a car following me home from school. Took a bunch of different random turns, he stuck with me, so I drove to the police station. Needless to say, he didn't follow me into that lot. I filed a report on it and the officer that took my report asked me if I posted pictures and info of my car online. I told him I did and he told me to go home and remove any pictures with my plates in them. He told me there was quite a few instances popping up of vehicles being targeted by thieves/chop shops based on things posted online. Easy bang for their buck. 10 minutes of online research and they can find a car worth their time instead of spending hours and hours driving around blindly looking for something that might be worth their time. This was about 6 years ago so I can only imagine it's gotten worse with time.

I call shenanigans on this. It's perfectly 'worth their time' to steal a bone stock car. People who want to steal specifically modified/etc cars are going to be people like other members of this forum. Also, it's not that hard for them to show up to meets/car shows/etc. It will cost them MORE time/effort/difficulty to look up your plates on the intarwebs, bribe someone shady at the DMV for your info, and then get to your house to find you have a garage than just driving around a target parking garage/etc and picking a car out just from walking through it.

I call shenanigans on this. It's perfectly 'worth their time' to steal a bone stock car. People who want to steal specifically modified/etc cars are going to be people like other members of this forum. Also, it's not that hard for them to show up to meets/car shows/etc. It will cost them MORE time/effort/difficulty to look up your plates on the intarwebs, bribe someone shady at the DMV for your info, and then get to your house to find you have a garage than just driving around a target parking garage/etc and picking a car out just from walking through it.

My point exactly, at least that's how I think. But as mentioned, it's not that hard to disguise a plate, and if it helps in the least, it's worth it. So I guess we do it for that sense of security, even if it doesn't provide much.

Archived