LegacyGT.com

timing belt - complete kit or just belt?

I have 105K and I want to do the belt as maintenance. I don't race it, it runs fine and I just want to keep up with maintenance. I called Fred Beans and they said that they don't replace pulleys when they do timing belts at 105K unless things are bad.

I want to know out of all owners on here...when your belt came up for maintenance, who replaced just the belt, and who replaced the entire kit.

It's a difference of 107 dollars vs 450 dollars...not to mention, its a lot easier to replace the belt alone.

I'd rather spend a little more up front then a whole lot later..

+1 on that. You'll already be in there. Will your water pump last another 100k, probably so. If it doesn't, well, thats the gamble. The pump, pulleys and tensioner are wear and tear parts. Sure they last, but like any bearing, no one knows for how long. I've not had my car to the dealer since it's purchase. The savings there alone would pay for the full kit which I'll be buying in another 30k. You could get by without it. Look at it this way, if you plan to keep the car, buy the full kit. If not, just replace the belt. I'm of the spend a little more now for piece of mind belief. I've never been stranded.

Yep, with winter coming... I'd like the piece of mind... knowing eveything in there is new. May be it doesn't get that cold where you live and you wouldn't mind being stuck somewhere in January on some cold night...and you can't start the car for heat...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Replace everything. Gates sells a very nice kit that has all the idlers, tensioner, water pump, thermostat, and belt. The only thing I wouldn't use is the gates water pump gasket as the Subaru ones are better. We've had cars come in complaining of odd noises and opened up the timing belt area to see an idler be completely destroyed. For the little bit of extra money I would not risk it.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I do everything between the engine block and the radiator. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, accessory belts, upper and lower radiator hose. All of that stuff has to come off for the timing belt and any of it will probably not last 200,000 miles.

I've got 179,00 on my 06 spec. B. It runs like the day I got it.

If your going to keep it another 75K then yes, do all the pulleys and tensioner.

FWIW, I have never pulled a water pump from a 100,000 mile LGT and seen a problem with it. The Gates pump is a cheap knock off, not OE like some people state. But Gates is a trusted name.

Archived