LegacyGT.com

refill block with coolant?

the car was hit in the front and it bent the radiator support all out of shape. So i pulled the radiator and a/c condensor to bend everything back. Its good enough now and the hood will latch which was really my only concern. radiator is still good and i dont really care about the a/c. but how do i refill the block with coolant cause it all leaked out of the thermostat when i took the housing off the get the radiator out. I figured that i fill the radiator, start the car and let the thermostat open with the radiator cap off and fill it as it sucks it into the block. is there a bleeder plug anywhere that i need to know about? and do i have the right idea? and also where could i find new mounting brackets for the headlights cause those broke when the car was hit too. thanks

Searched and didn't find anything about the block just bleeding the radiator which is pretty straight forward with the drain plug. Is there a bleeder plug somewhere on the block that I'm not seeing? I filled the radiator and ran the motor with the heater on and rad cap off and the temp gauge read normal and one of the cooling fans turned on. So I figure the temp sending unit it submerged in coolant and working properly but the heat isn't hot. What do I do?

Just flushed mine today and added new coolant. I pull the top hose off the rad then snake a smaller hose through it since it tends to kink when you try to hold it up. Fill block, replace and tighten top hose, Fill rad slowly. Replace rad cap and let idle with the bleeder screw open until it's at operating temp and all air has bled out. Once the engine is warm you should get hot air coming through the vents, I rev it a few times I think this helps to bleed air (maybe not). after it's idled for a while and no more air bubbles tighten the screw and take it for a spin, After it cools top off the rad if nesecary and fill the overflow bottle.

• I Donated

You have an air pocket. The only way you can bleed your coolant is from the radiator. It can be a pain sometimes....

I suppose if you can get to the temp sensor, you can bleed from there as well...maybe that will help you out some....idk....Ive never had to do it that way myself

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

When I rebuilt the engine in my wife's 99 outback, it seemed to take a while to get all the air pockets out. For some reason, it takes a while for coolant to circulate through our radiators and I just had to keep filling it up after driving it around the block. After a couple trips, it worked great. Glad you got it back to normal.

Archived