LegacyGT.com

New 2006 coming end of July

Just go info from my dealer in Chicago. My 2006 Legacy GT is coming last week of July with optional navigation - same like they have in England. I will keep you all posted

Just so you know, the US Subaru NAV system is a bit retarded. It can track your current location just fine but it doesn't match addresses to locations very well and the map data is pretty out of date. I took a Tribeca out for a test drive so I could test the NAV and the salesman that came with me plugged his home address in. He's been living there for a bit over 5 years and his development isn't even on the map. Similarly, it told me my apartment was about a half mile from where it actually was, that my office was about 1/3 of a mile off, and that the dealership was about 1/4 mile off.

Just so you know, the US Subaru NAV system is a bit retarded. It can track your current location just fine but it doesn't match addresses to locations very well and the map data is pretty out of date. I took a Tribeca out for a test drive so I could test the NAV and the salesman that came with me plugged his home address in. He's been living there for a bit over 5 years and his development isn't even on the map. Similarly, it told me my apartment was about a half mile from where it actually was, that my office was about 1/3 of a mile off, and that the dealership was about 1/4 mile off.

I'm sure Subaru will have an update for it when enough people complain about it.

Dude, DUDE. The 2 problems are irrelevant.

For the nav maps, the fix is a simple software update done by the dealer.

For the 2-din-stereo, there is no fix. It would require a redesign of the console/HVAC and a reconfiguration of the assembly line/subcontractors, which most probably won't happen.

Subaru is using the LGT to go upscale were most buyers aren't going to be using their own custom stereo setup, same with the Tribeca B9. Now the Impreza/Forester platform gives the customer more freedom and their parts are not tightly integrated compared to LGT/B9.

I keed I keeed

For the 2-din-stereo, there is no fix. It would require a redesign of the console/HVAC and a reconfiguration of the assembly line/subcontractors, which most probably won't happen.

Subaru is using the LGT to go upscale were most buyers aren't going to be using their own custom stereo setup, same with the Tribeca B9. Now the Impreza/Forester platform gives the customer more freedom and their parts are not tightly integrated compared to LGT/B9.

if what you were saying was tru about the redesign, why does the JSM have the option to use the din system... its not that hard. SOA is just stubborn.

if what you were saying was tru about the redesign, why does the JSM have the option to use the din system... its not that hard. SOA is just stubborn.

1. Because the JDM is RHD and we are LHD. The dash/console is angled towards the driver and therefore the JDM option isn't gonna fit without a redesign.

2. A reconfiguration of the assembly line would increase costs that will be passed onto the consumer.

3. I guess Subaru's market research doesn't see a market for that and therefore it is not worth it, unless the majority of Legacy owners complain about it.

I keed I keeed

the Macintosh unit in the JDM Legacys are nice sounding. However it dejects from the aesthetic flow of the USDM legacy console. I'm not an audiophile by a longshot. I still listen to AM radio every so often. So the current design is fine with me. Besides, i prefer the Boxer music....

For some reason, the JDM singe zone climate control seems not to be integrated into the audio system's PCB.

JDM and greater asian and austrailian regional markets have the OEM stereo, they have an OEM-ized McIntosh head unit option (we have no alternate option) and they have the dual-din face-plate, all RHD, and all independent of the HVAC.

I have no idea why SOA didn't get, or didn't want the same options, and decided to cut costs by integrating the circuitry of the HVAC auto-controls into the stereo's circuit board.

Again, I think this was an ultimately boneheaded move, but I am not sure if there is anything we can do to get SOA to change it. Thankfully, JL Audio is making products like the CleanSweep, to allow some semblance of adaptability in the aftermarket.

For only $2,000 too. No thanks.:confused:

If only it was that simple. Unfortunately, I don't think that we'll get good maps any time soon. First, the discs that are currently available are marked 2005-2006, that implies that new map discs will not be available until spring-summer of next year. Next, and much more importantly, the maps are from TeleAtlas. TeleAtlas is not known as the most reliable map provider and there is a very good reason why almost everyone else goes with NAVTEQ. Their so-called up-to-date maps are missing large chunks of road all over the place and, as I said earlier, the addresses don't match their actual locations. There is nothing that Subaru can do about it except switch to NAVTEQ (who, by the way, is quite a bit more expensive).

So the 06' USA Navigation option is gonna suck? Is that what Im hearing? Its been my experience when using other vehicles equiped with a OE Nav., is there balls on accurate. The portable Garmin unit I've used on a motorcyle both here in Colorado and in Germany, France et cetera was balls on accurate. If the NAVTEQ data is considered to be the benchmark of such data....why did Subaru of America choose TeleAtlas? Did someone here say...BONEHEAD. Agreed, WTF!

Subaru just lost another upgrade sale, ala an 05' OB XT to a 06' of same...Suckers! Just how many of Subaru's customers (the dealer network) are going to order cars with a known Nav. which does not compete. The word will travel fast.

Suckers... SOA listen up, the devil is in the details and NOT the Rube Goldberg fixes at the service facility level. Christ!! not one of the 10 Subaru dealers in the Denver area even know what a Select Monitor 3 is.. go figure. Come on SOA, make the jump from good to great.

My .02

Cheers,

Mike

My other cars: S6 Audi, 911 Porsche, 986 Porsche, VW vintage

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

well i live in alaska and the oem navigation systems suck for here. half the time, they don't even show what's really there, plus w/ the rapid growth in some areas right now, there's no way to keep up. i'll be getting my portable laptop desk installed, along with my laptop for work. i have MS streets and trips w/ GPS 2005 edition and it has been great! :) just set up for mobile wifi, so hopefully, i'll be all set to go! :)
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Archived