LegacyGT.com

Used STI control Arms

iggybdawg

Suspension does not worry me, things bolt-up etc, and it you take it easy for a while - you just ruin tires if something isn't right. But what about front axles with track now being wider? Never done front axes on this car, but I don't think there's a pin that holds those in the transmission. Could the pop out? Or damage the oil seal?

You have seen the future. I think I'll have to take it back and get the steel arms back on till I can figure out all the parts I need. They gave it to me saying the axles looked ok, but they couldn't get 0 toe because the steering rack and tie rod ends were too short. They said they would start scouring junkyards for totaled sti's.

Here's a cellphone pic, one side looks a lil popped out and it's seeping transmission fluid. boo.

I gave them my camera and the took many pics, I'll post them all in a minute.

IMG_20111206_185642.thumb.jpg.aafcfa872ef93b23c8780e16ee9a222c.jpg

Edited by iggybdawg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on how much wider your track now is. If it's more than, say, 10mm, then you are going to find out the hard way that the axles can't take it. That happened to a few people I've known who did the WRX wagon -> sedan front end swap and trying to keep their wagon axles (which were now 10mm too short). They blew out joints, because the roll pin held the joint to the trans.

So was the fix simply new sedan axles?

You might have to change privacy settings on those, Brian.

I hope the number of splines on STI axles and LGT ones match...

Otherwise you'll probably have to create some franken-axles from different pieces, provided STI uses the same axles design (I have no idea).

Dmanenk - Yea, the Sedan was 20mm wider overall, 10mm per side.

Iggy - Yes, the fix was to use Sedan axles.

You have a problem, because 6-speed axles are likely not the same as the 5MT axles. Your best bet is 2010-2012 WRX axles like Mat suggested. Those are very likely to fit, but only a test-fit will say for sure.

Your car can't really be driven as-is, unfortunately.

I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger on these arms. I was minutes away from it, too.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

But do they have spline counts?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I think so, but if not, it's like 99.99% spline counts will be the same. The spline counts in front have not changed in turbo Subarus for like ages. For sure everything turbo 05+ is exactly the same (maybe except 2010+ LGT but who cares about it).

I'm inclined to agree that they are likely the same. But that's something to consider before dumping a bunch of cash on OE axles.

I don't remember if the Pix say spline counts. I was trying to find the diff-end spline count of the Spec-B (the shaft spline count, not the splines for the diff), and wasn't able to come up with anything definitive.

OK, so I have the steel arms back on the car, but with the poly bushings and new ball joints moved over. The transmission was only down 1qt and the axle wasn't broken. I'm not ready to continue this experiment right now since it's getting costly really fast. There are other things I was trying to save for like coilovers, wheels, etc. I think I might throw these arms into the garage closet and try again after I get the rest of my to-do mod list done.

Let me fix the privacy on that album.

Edited by iggybdawg

Works now!

Anyhow, mad props to you sir for trying this. Somebody had to try it. I had a similar thought awhile back and chickened out. :cool:

It was more being dumb than being brave..

I still would like to finish some day, but not till I have the rest of my wishlist done. Or if I need a new front axle, I'll go ahead and buy 2011 wrx ones.

I did leave the STI studs that gave more caster in the car.

Edited by iggybdawg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh nice thread, good info on the experience I don't think anyone else has tried this. I had thought of using the STI arms on my 09 WRX but it seemed it would need a bunch of parts. I see now the axles are def required.

FYI the parts changed to make the WRX front suspension "widetrack" to match the STI for '11, which would likely be the same parts needed to do it "right" on a BP/BL Legacy:

Wider arms (same dimensions as the 08-10 STI arm, but steel)

Wider front sway bar (same as 08-11 STI fitment)

Modified hub carrier (strut clevis bolt holes offset further inboard)

Longer axles

You might not need all of those parts, I was wondering how the camber would work out with the wider LCA, if the stock camber bolt could bring it under 2 deg that would be OK for the street.

Speaking of axles I have a feeling the 09-11 Forester axles would be a swap, and likely the same as the '11 WRX. I think the 09-11 Forester and '11 WRX LCA is now the same, but not confirmed. I have found some of the same parts that make the STI and now WRX "widetrack" are shared with the Forester which is just a lifted widetrack Impreza. widetrack WRX and Forester share rear axles and hub carriers.

I scored a set of SpecB arms so I used those, and truly I don't think the track width is a big deal, you can get that done with wheel offest or spacers, at the expense of messing with the scrub radius but most don't care about that. Ultimately your widest track is limited by the fenders and your wheel width.

iggybdawg I can't see how the STI studs gain caster I think your mechanic is mistaken. In order to gain caster the rear mounting point of the LCA would need to be moved *outward* looking from above. All these chassis use a straight stud, located by the threaded hole. The STI would have to have an offset sort of "trick" stud to gain caster, which it does not. I suspect the STI stud does move the rear mount point *lower* (looking from the side), which lessens the anti-dive effect, similar to what the ever popular "ALK" does. Notice the ALKs also use an offset bushing to move the rearward mount point outwards to add more caster. The '11WRX/08-11STI does have more stock caster than the other Impreza/Legacy front suspensions, that is because the wider LCA also moves the lower ball joint further forward, but that is all in the arm not the stud.

Edited by Power6

• 2 months later...

The car has been more stable, but that could be the anti-lift properties you mention or just having the poly bushings, or that I have camber bolts now as well. I haven't gotten an alignment, yet, because I have been gathering other suspension parts to install.

Another follow up: because I drove the car while the axle was popped out, I had to get a new axle seal to stop a slow transmission oil leak.

• 1 month later...
I have a wrecked 08sti in my garage, sitting in my LGT's place (LGT sadly in the driveway) I am planning on doing a whole swap, axles, bearings, spindle, brakes, control arms. The upper mounts for the struts are compatible for all the later chassis cars, so I am thinking that I can use a set of STI struts or coilovers on the front. I am also going to take the rear subframe out to see if I can use the entire rear suspension, I imagine that since the 08+ impreza shares the same pan as the 05+LGT (LGT being longer by 6" or so) the subframe mounting points should be the same. Back to tearing down the STI.

I am going to be using the transmission, but from what i understand the dual AVCS on the 257 is not compatible with our wiring harness, this bottom end has only 9kmiles on it, so it may end up going into the car, eventually. I was considering using my heads, but installing all the intake/turbo/intercooler parts w/ the VF48, but the piping for the STI intercooler seems convoluted, and there is always the chance of getting refereed for a visual inspection even if my car will pass smog, so i have to keep everything in a way where i can put the stock intercooler and airbox back on.

after taking the front and rear suspension out of the car over the last week, it seems that far too many of the suspension parts are bent to make it worthwhile to do the swap, all the rear suspension is bent far beyond use, the rear differential has the DS axle stuck into it, the rear diff cover was cracked (didn't have to drain any fluid at least), the passenger side LCA was nearly bent in half, quite an accident, luckily my friend was uninjured. i am going to measure the remaining good parts to see if it is worth trying with new parts or good used parts, i will probably drop the rear subframe and measure the mounts, and measure all the differences between the front suspension (tie rods, spindles, axles and control arms), good thing i enjoy working on cars :wub:

• 8 years later...
after taking the front and rear suspension out of the car over the last week, it seems that far too many of the suspension parts are bent to make it worthwhile to do the swap, all the rear suspension is bent far beyond use, the rear differential has the DS axle stuck into it, the rear diff cover was cracked (didn't have to drain any fluid at least), the passenger side LCA was nearly bent in half, quite an accident, luckily my friend was uninjured. i am going to measure the remaining good parts to see if it is worth trying with new parts or good used parts, i will probably drop the rear subframe and measure the mounts, and measure all the differences between the front suspension (tie rods, spindles, axles and control arms), good thing i enjoy working on cars :wub:
very old thread bump, did you ever finish these measurements?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

the rear sti subframe does not bolt up. its an inch off in every direction and the sti has a different front mount connection. If you could find a shop that makes the rear subframe (tssfab, mooresport, etc) and sent them a body and $10k, you might be able to convince them to custom make a frame for you (that was mooresport's quote to me).

I still have a loaded sti rear subframe if you want to try it