LegacyGT.com

Used STI control Arms

iggybdawg

Hmm. These LCA's mean we could run the 2011 STi spherical/rubber bushing LCA instead of the failure prone stock ones or poly ones from WL, right?

Interesting.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dirtfish is actually where I was getting the arms from as well, did you get these put on? They haven't shipped mine yet so I was wondering if there were any issues with using this arm as opposed to one from a spec B..keep us posted!

It's taking forever because I'm buying bushings from Fred Beans with subaru bucks. My subaru bucks are on the slow truck cross country.

I'm probably going to have a shop press the bushings in, then swap the arms myself. Still haven't decided if I want offset bushings for caster..

Bushings are same fitment wise, whether arms are steel or alu.

No they arent. The 2011 STi got spherical bushings that don't fit in any other LCA.

If these are 2011 arms, then you can use the 2011 beefed up LCA bushings.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2011-sti-pillow-ball-lca-bushing-fits-legacyi-141836p2.html?highlight=STi+LCA+bushings

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I see. There is something new about 2011, I was not aware of it.

It wasn't clear from your post. This thread says "08+ STI" as we know for a fact that bushings meant for 08-10 STI fit in stock LGT or SpecB arms. I run Subaru's own GR STI Group N bushings in my SpecB arms. Which take identical bushings to the stock steel arms.

Edited by unclemat

That's what I wonder. 08+ is misleading. 08-10 is fine, but if they are '11+, the bushings are quite different.

If installing these with a whiteline RCK, what do you need to do to make it bolt in? Still need the extra cone?

still waiting on my subarubucks to make it to FredBeans. Does anyone have a pair of 2011 sti control arms?

I measured the hole in my used arms for the rear bushing, it's the same size as my steel arms on the car. I would imagine 2011 control arms are the same as 2008-2010, the only difference being the pillowball instead of full rubber bushing.

Edited by iggybdawg

The pillow ball in the '11 arm doesn't fit the 08-10 arm. Looks like these are '08-'11 arms, then.

• 2 weeks later...
So did you ever them on ? I got my set sitting in the garage. One of them came with a ball joint that looked like it was gonna fall apart, hah.

UPS says my box from Fred Beans should come today. I sent them subaru bucks via ups ground and got the stuff shipped UPS ground, and I live a good week one-way, and Thanksgiving was in the middle. I'll do the work this weekend.

UPS delivered my package to a neighbor... and then UPS was less than helpful when I called to complain. I was able to figure out which neighbor and go get the box on my own, though.

There's no way I could press in the big bushings in my garage, and I didn't get around to finding a shop that would do just the pressing. The shop I normally go to said they'd charge me the hourly rate for the whole job when I called them explaining the situation. I'm gonna leave the car with them tomorrow. I'll ask them to take a pic of the arms side by side for me, but I can try to get a pic with a real camera from under the car tonight. I placed the aluminum arms over the steel ones to see they are the same size 2 weeks ago, but gave up trying to take a pic with my crappy cellphone.

^ Thanks. Looks like it is a bit longer.

Any machine shop (or a respected car performance place) in the area should be able to press the bushings.

Yes, I kept thinking they were the same size and not lining up because of the rotation. The shop I left the car at this morning just called and said they are indeed wider. They said the bolts that came with the arms are longer and would increase caster, so they used those instead of the ones on my car. Also, I'm having them install camber bolts to get the camber right with the wider track.

They said the swaybar mounts on the control arms are now wider out, such that I may need an STI specific swaybar. They were going to try to see if mine bolted up fine when putting it back on the car, otherwise, I may have mine up in the for sale forums soon. (25mm perrin front bar)

So, I want to get RCE Tarmac coilovers whenever I can afford them. Would I want to go back to the stock strut mounting bolts since I would get camber plates that have a ton of camber adjustment already?

So I was right, these LCAs is what accounts for the wider track of GR STI vs narrow-body Impreza.

I think you're gonna affect balance of the car by using them. You are adding grip to the front effectively, so you you decrease understeer.

The bolts were the ones that go into the body for the rear mount. Not just the bolts were different, the spacers on the bolts were too.

I'm always welcome to less understeer. Autocrossing it stock for 5 years has taught me to do wacky stuff to get the car to rotate. The first time I drove someone else's car - a cobalt SS, I spun it 180 degrees on the first 3 runs.

Suspension does not worry me, things bolt-up etc, and it you take it easy for a while - you just ruin tires if something isn't right. But what about front axles with track now being wider? Never done front axes on this car, but I don't think there's a pin that holds those in the transmission. Could the pop out? Or damage the oil seal?

^ Good point. Axles have some tolernace, but whether it would be ok in this case is hard to say.

I'd guess 2010-2012 widebody WRX axles would be perfect match.

It depends on how much wider your track now is. If it's more than, say, 10mm, then you are going to find out the hard way that the axles can't take it. That happened to a few people I've known who did the WRX wagon -> sedan front end swap and trying to keep their wagon axles (which were now 10mm too short). They blew out joints, because the roll pin held the joint to the trans.

Well, total track width difference between 08 sti and wrx is more than an inch per side. 06-07 WRX difference between sedan/hatch was less than an inch in total. Part of it here could be the hub, but I guess LCA contribution is more than 10mm.

Also watch for tire rubbing on fenders.