LegacyGT.com

OCD Car washing/detailing

Is it safe/effective to use Ajax on the unpainted plastic parts? I have a Mini Cooper that has black plastic trim around the wheel well which has sealant wipe marks. My plan was to scrub it using Ajax and a dish sponge. Back to black doesn't do jack.

Is it safe/effective to use Ajax on the unpainted plastic parts? I have a Mini Cooper that has black plastic trim around the wheel well which has sealant wipe marks. My plan was to scrub it using Ajax and a dish sponge. Back to black doesn't do jack.

I've never had luck with Back to Black. For the damage you are looking at you could probably just use warm water and a toothbrush. The wax is stuck in the texture of the plastic, so you just need something to loosen it up and clean it out.

I picked up a bottle of Wolfgang's Exterior Trim Sealant this fall and I can't wait to see how it holds up on parts like that. My car doesn't have a whole lot of plastic on it, but I know a lot of cars that do. I'm really curious how it does at protecting against trim staining products like that. I know it does a great job of protecting exterior trim in the winter. My wiper cowl beads water like the paint does right now. It is pretty damn cool if you ask me.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• 4 weeks later...

My neighbor across the street just moved away and before he left he told me that he'll always think of me in my garage polishing my car during a blizzard whenever he thinks of me. lol Either that or of me standing on my roof taking pictures of my car from a different angle.

All I know is that winter kills me because I know I'm scratching up my car and it isn't nearly as clean as I'd like it to be and there is nothing I can do about it. I just want to get it under some nice strong lights on a 60 degree day and polish the shit out of it so I can relax. Seasonal Affective Disorder in my case is just doom and gloom because it has been so long since I've polished paint. That and I haven't been on my motorcycle in nearly 4 months. That can cause it too. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

If the weather werent so shitty i would do the same as you guys...or rather just like once a week(if the weather were nice). Right now in oregon if you wash it and go out on the street it will look like you didnt wash it in 5 minutes since its constantly drizzling here.

When the weather forecast says it will be sunny for a few days in a row i wash my truck + subi. Otherwise its just a waste. I mean i can only go like 2 weeks before i wash it off just so the shit doesnt become hard to get off, but i dont wash it 4 times a week thats pointless.

Oh man, In the past month or so I have become addicted to Optimum No Rinse with a shot of Optimum Car Wax. I can now wash my car any time in the garage where the neighbors don't even see it, not that they would care. They just see shiny cars all the time. I can do both the family cars in less time than it would take to do 1 conventional wash. The garage floor is epoxy coated so I just run a couple of old beach towels around on the floor after I'm done and that keeps the floor clean also.

Well...lately it's been weekly. It's hard to believe how well it works. I had a bottle sitting on the shelf for almost a year and was kind of afraid to try it. Now that I have, I'm hooked. I use it on my wife's Black Acura with notoriously soft paint and it makes that look like a million bucks also. No scratches, micro-marring etc.,. If I had a TON of road salt on it, I might consider running it thru a touch free car wash first, but honestly, I doubt it would be an issue to just use the ONR. I would just pre-soak it (which I do anyway) and go easy on the first pass and change towels, mitts, etc., more often. Try it..you will like it. I did my sister in law's black BMW this weekend while they were visiting and they are now hooked on it also. I gave them a small bottle to take home with them.

It's so easy and to use a weekly wash is no big deal. So far I've just been trying to clean it up anytime a few days of precipitation free weather is forecast. If your car is black you will be washing more frequently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I LOVE DETAILING MY CAR!!!!! i spend hours on my car i love it sometimes i go crazy and do my wifes 2011 jeep grand cherokee... she loves me for it lol :D i used to have a car detailing job, i made really good money for a highschool kid 10 bucks an hour about 8 years ago lol i was like i get paid to do this?!?!?!?! :D

... i get paid to do this?!?!?!?! :D

I have that exact same thought all the time. lol I get to explore every nook and cranny of cars that are worth more than my house and they give me money at the end of it all. Hell, I'd PAY to play with some of these cars, but I take the money anyway. :D

OCDETAILS BLOG

I got great results when I asked about the glass cleaner, so now I'll ask for wax recommendations. I'm sure there's a lot of personal preference, but which is best for a simple driveway hand waxing? liquid, paste? Also, I had never heard of claying until I read around this forum. When is that appropriate and any recommendations there?

Claying is something that probably doesn't need to be done more than once or twice a year. I only clay my car once in the spring and once in the fall. It is really just a matter of 'when it needs it'. Clay will remove some of your wax/sealant, so it is typically the first step after washing when you are doing a full detail including polishing.

Off the shelf I'd say Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is one of your better choices these days. I believe they also have a paste version, but either may be applied by hand. I've seen the results of the paste, but haven't experienced it. I can say that the liquid version is something I would compare to any other high end sealant on the market.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Off the shelf I'd say Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax is one of your better choices these days.

This^

i put the liquid version on my car 3 weeks ago and it still looks good. better than NXT imo.

I'll say the meguiars paste is nice. Goes on easy, buffs off easy. I use it on my girlfriends forester. The nxt liquid wax works well too. I used it on my civic. It's the beater but it works alright. It doesn't last as long though.

Just don't be crazy with the claybar. Light pressure and plenty of lube. You'll see a difference in the bar.

Archived