LegacyGT.com

Torque converter ok ?

Allright here's the deal,

As you may know, its a 97 legacy outback 2.5 auto and I'm changing the trans, the guy had towed it with the front wheels down and rear up, in neutral from about 30 miles,

I couldn't get the torque converter to line up on the newish transmission, spent like 4 hours trying while it was in the car, so i took it down and still cant get it in all the way, I figured id try the other one from the old burnt trans and click, click it goes in !, and the newer one wont go in the burnt trans either

should the old one be fine in the car now ? i dont think from towing it the torque converter would be pooched,

I asked a mechanic at work, and eh said since the previous guy blew the transmission wouldn't there be metal shaving in the torque converter which then will pooch my newer transmission? he had said he didn't find any metal fillings when he originally

there is a filter screen inside the trans which would catch the really bad stuff. and there is always metal ''stuff'' in the tans fluid, or at least in the bottom of the pan. the clutch discs are metal and they wear. kind of like dust on brakes.

so install the old TC, try and pour out as much fluid as you can first. and then after you drive it a day or two, do a drain and fill. inspect the used fluid, i bet you will find it clean. plus, an auto trans fails differently than a manual trans, they usually have metal chunks in the gear oil.

or now that you know how to seat the TC, try the one that came with it again.

depending on where you bought your replacement trans and the warranty it came with you could go back to them and complain. if they have another TC they could give it to you.

worth a call anyway.

what happened to your original trans? oh towed it wrong. that just burned up the bearings. that much speed and distance with out the trans fluid being circulated means no lubrication. i'd probably use the old TC. but i still might call the parts yard. find out what a TC is worth, maybe they'll refund you some. but they hate to give money back. they would rather give you another part.

was this a towing company or the previous owner.?

yes i know the guy that runs the junk yard i got it from, he only had one subaru in the whole yard, and the original one, the previous owner towed the car in neutral with the front down and rear up, thinking everything would be fine ! haha figures

unless the parts yard guy already gave you the''kin folk price'' or the ''starving preacher price'' i would ask for a discount. if you installed the trans you bought with the TC that came with it you will end up worse off.

Archived