LegacyGT.com

n00b intake question

magnoon

Hey guys,

I'm new at modifying these cars, so I just had a quick question.

I'm getting a pro tune done at IAG within the next few months, and I want to buy an intake before doing so. I'm debating between the K&N Typhoon and the COBB SF. Which one of these two is better??

Also, I was thinking about the AEM CAI, but I'm paranoid about water ingestion, the car is my dd... how likely is it really?

Thanks!

Chris

Answer: Unless you're stage 3+ you don't need an intake it wont buy you anything. And in the case you are stage 3+, nether the K&N for COBB will actually cut it (maf diameter is same as OEM).

For your tuning dollar, buy an donwpipe or TMIC. It will actually do something for you.

I am currently stage 3+, here is my list of mods to the car (powerwise, anyway):

- ERZ 3" Catless Downpipe

- Invidia v3 q300 3" exhaust

- STI Uppipe

- IHI VF-52 turbo

- Fully rebuilt shortblock w/ sti forged internals

I sort of half lied when I said I was new to modding these cars, I mean't that I was new to this area of it and just wanted opinions.

I'm stockpiling parts for my tune. Here is my list:

- Intake (will decide which after a few more replies to this thread haha)

- 740cc Injectors

- Walbro 255 lph fuel pumo

- Intercooler (whatever deal comes around)

should get me safely around 300 whp.

Any thoughts?

Cobb makes a larger 70mm MAF housing that works with their intake, but it's an extra $100 and only available directly through them. I've got one on my 20gxt setup and it flows just fine with over 330whp.

You may be able to get the 70mm unit with the intake kit if you call Cobb, though.

FWIW, on my next setup, (different turbo, fmic, etc) I'm going with a big KStech. I only stuck with the cobb because it works with the stock snorkel and I have the Cobb cooling plate which gives it a ram air effect.

Archived