LegacyGT.com

New engine block/ head?

I recently went to get a tune for stage 2 and my tuner said that that piston 4 is misfiring every time after 5500 rpm's. He said that it may be the injector gone bad. What do you guys think??? I really need help and id be devistated if i needed to get rid of the car :(

Quick fix may be a can of injector cleaner in the gas tank. "Seafoam" may work, ask the guy or girl at the parts counter.

Also, have you cleaned the MAF and IAT sensor and is your air filter clean?

FWIW, I did wipe my sensors gently with a dry Q-tip. They were both dirty. I did get a CEL afterwards, that dealt with both the sensors. I cleared the codes with my Cobb or you can remove the negative battery cable for a few minutes.

My 05 runs so much smoother now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If it's just a misfire then you shall take care of it as soon as possible, but a compression test would be in order to verify that there's no damage to the engine. And if it is at the stage where you have misfires already it may be too late for injector cleaner so I would suggest that you have the injectors tested and cleaned (or possibly replaced).

Also check fuel pressure because if it's too low that may be the reason instead.

453747.png

Dom, my tuner, checked fuel pressure and decided it was within normal range. He said that it most likely is the injector since my car does have 93,000 miles. I absolutely love my car and would hate to have to get rid of it :(

You can always witch injector 4 with injector 1. And see if the miss fire follows that injector. If it don't, pull your spark plugs & check the color. And why'll you there do what ehsnils said, do a compression check.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

With more info on the spark plug condition or the injector condition it is hard to tell. It could even be a coil pack. We had a customer recently that had a misfire on cyl 2. We pull the plug to find it was wet and no signs of damage. Changed out the coil pack and ta-da all better. I'm less likely to think something is wrong with the motor in this case. Since it is only above 5500 it sounds like the spark is getting blown out.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

well thats what the tuners thought as well that the coil pack could be bad so they switched the coil pack but no good, it still misfired. they changed the spark plugs, still misfiring so now its time to do a compression test...when they took the old spark plugs out the tuner said they looked a little white...?

i remember hearing someone had low compression in one cylinder than they ran seafoam in the oil and intake and the compression was perfect. Maybe worth a shot.

This only works if the ring stuck.

dropping a little oil in from the spark plug hole and doing the test again- if the compression rises then you have a ringland/ring failure. If it stays the same, it's the valves(possibly burnt/chipped).

+1

At over 173k, I did compression check, spec, from ALL DATA are 141psi to 171psi, at 350 RPM's with no greater then 7 psi between cylinders. Starter must be getting weak. With Battery fully charge & a charger set on 225A "Start", the motor only turn 286rpm, 1) 145psi, 2)150psi, 3)145psi, 4)147psi. Look like my motor is healthy enough to go stage 2+.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

The rpm isn't a big concern, and oil temp/viscosity and battery condition are the major issues behind the crank speed. Add to that cable losses between battery and starter.

But if the starter starts to go - then it's more a question of it being erratic.

Anyway - the figures you have are fine, especially for the driven distance. Maybe a valve clearance check/adjustment is what you need to equalize the figures.

453747.png

Archived