LegacyGT.com

08 LGT w 4 speed auto?

Hi all, obviously new member here. Just picked up an 08 legacy gt and its awesome. My only question is I can't seem to find any reference to the 08 LGT having the 4 speed auto as an option, yet mine is. It has the paddle shifters and is extremely clean and drives smooth. Got it from local subie dealer and it was a single owner trade in with clean car fax.

My question is.... What gives with the 4speed. I have been researching quite a bit and have not seen one like mine yet. Good bad or indifferent?

Thanks.

Two possibilities:

1) It doesn't have a 4-speed.

2) It's not a GT.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok heres the deal. It is definitely a GT. When I put it in +/- Mode from Auto the display says i'm in Gear 5. (It doesnt feel like i'm 5th gear though) However when i downshift to 4, the arrow to go up is no longer there and cannot get into 5th gear. To be honest though I havent tested this at highway speeds yet. Only in city.

The car i traded in was a 2005 2.5i with the 4 speed auto so i'm familiar with the system. There was no 5 at all in that car. This one appears that it has 5th gear, cause it comes up on the display, but i cant "manually" put it back there. I feel like an idiot, but thanks for all the help so far.

the reason the arrow disappears is because you're at a too low of an rpm in the current gear to successfully transition to the next one. Imagine trying to drive 30mph in 5th gear in a manual, same premise.

the TCU protects the tranny and only allows you to manually switch gears if it deems safe to do so. It will not let you downshift from 3rd to 2nd if you're currently at 5k rpms in 3rd, get it? The down arrow will disappear for that scenario. It would over-rev and is protecting you from accidentally doing that.

thank you, but i guess my question now is. If i am at highway speeds, will i definitely be able to manually put the car in 5th gear (if at appropriate RPM/speed) and see the display have a 5. I know someone here has this same setup, hoping someone can explain cause its a bit confusing to me right now.

You must be new to paddle shifters or you haven't driven manual before.

The car's computer wouldn't let you shift up to 5th gear because it is unsafe for the transmission. However, if you are cruising at 40mph, you could shift up to 5th gear to save gas.

I hear you aren't supposed to drive these cars.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That explains it...

I can see how this would be funny. I pretty much freaked out when i saw the website had listed it as a 4 speed auto and then did my less than thorough low speed test. I assure you i do have a driver's license and understand how to shift gears. I think just the combo of the aforementioned items caused me to post this.

One situation that ran through my mind was: previous driver blew the tranny and dealer didnt have or didnt want to replace expensive 5MT tranny, had a 2.5i tranny on hand so put it in and then sold it to me the unsuspecting buyer. But it looks like that was wrong thankfully.

Archived