LegacyGT.com

uppipe install ?

leggtnut

So, I have had a gutted LGT uppipe laying around the house that I got for just about nothing in a trade a few years ago and have been contemplating on installing it. I am fairly good with a wrench (did the suspenssion a few times and sways so far on my LGT). but things with the turbo have me a little sketchy. I found some instructions from perrin that seem straight forward, but never done anything on the engine directly just makes me think twice about doing it myself. On the other side, anyone know what a good price for a shop to do this for me? either in the Silicon Valley or Santa Cruz areas.

Thank you.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I did an up-pipe install myself. Not too hard, but a little time consuming (3-5 hours is how long it took me 1st try). Go to youtube and search "Grimmspeed up-pipe install" and they give you step by step instructions and show a tech doing each step if you feel like having a go at it. Just make sure you got lots of PB blaster. And beware, your motor will burn off the PB blaster after the install so don't freak when your engine bay starts smoking like I did :)

Sounds a lot like mine. My issue was I took the banjo bolt out to check for a filter. And forgot to torque it back down. Oil all over the turbo, UP, DP and garage. I was scared for a different reason when it was smoking.

OP it's not too hard to do. I thought I read something about shops charging ~$200-$300 but I don't really know.

If you do replace it yourself, do be careful of the half-moon seals on the ends of the valve covers. Torque against your valve cover, and break one or both of them while fishing your UP out and back it, and you'll have a lot more to deal with than you initially bargained.

And if you can - take out your sensor before removing the UP. It'll make getting everything in/out much easier.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived