LegacyGT.com

URGENT: Broke the key in the ignition...what to do

So yeah, I was looking at a noise(either ball joint or tie rod end) and then my dad went to turn the key to allow the wheels to turn more and the key broke in half. So now the other half is stuck in the ignition..

Any tricks on how to remove this?

Thanks a lot for a quick response!!:rolleyes:

• I Donated

Use a flat head screwdriver to turn the ignition and run the car. The key is in there so all the tumblers are already in place.

Let me guess, it wouldn't turn so you forced it and it snapped....You're suppose to turn the wheel back and forth when that happens

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

try this - straighten out a paper clip... and then use needlenose to bend the last 1/16" at a right angle. Then slide into the tumbler as far as you can with the pointed side facing the key teeth... and then slowly extract the key.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Sounds like a good idea...and no I didn't forced the key because I'm not the one who broke it....but I guess it was already weak...I had left the key slightly in the ignition switch but just so it won't beep, when my dad went to turn it apparently didn't bother to insert it all the way and just twist it, which broke the key(weak key) I know that's a stupid move, but we all did stupid things lol

but anyway I'll try eldiablo idea or I'll just replace the ignition barrel

Alright, I would like to thanks El Diablo for his idea...It worked perfectly, I just bend the end of the paper clip a tiny bit and make it go along the key, held the little retainer with a tiny screwdriver and slowly pulled on the teeth of the key then extract it with nose plyers..

Close the thread:p (thats why I love car forum, you always find the answer you're looking for)

Archived