LegacyGT.com

Strange grinding from clutch (but not gears), everything's working fine

DanJz

Hey everyone

I did a search and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

Anyway, I'm have a weird issue. My clutch makes a weird noise when the pedal is depressed. It's loudest and most noticeable when the car is cold or hasn't moved in a while. The sound is hard do describe, it's like sort of a grinding noise, but not like grinding gears. I've never heard another manual car sound like this, and I don't recall my car doing this when I first got it either (I've had it since June).

I've read that Subarus have their "quirks" as far as transmissions go, could this perhaps be one of them? I haven't had trouble shifting in any way, and the clutch hasn't been slipping or anything. Everything is working fine, it's just an annoying (and frankly, somewhat embarrassing if in an area with other people/traffic) and I'd just like to know why it's happening haha.

Thanks everyone!

^ undoubtedly +10000, TSK3 kit on the quill.

Having the exact same issue here, except accompanied by serious clutch slip in boost. On the fence as to whether it will be smart to put a significantly tougher clutch with a firmer pressure plate (ACT HD) on a dying 5MT being subjected to 333wtq @ about 3.7k. The noise is loudest I've found when cold (as op stated) and fully depressing the clutch to the point of no further pedal travel. Assuming that is the point where the TOB is under most stress.

But, looks like OP is running an unmodded N/A setup. I'd still go for a better clutch upon replacement, but that may not even be necessary for what OP plans on using the car for. Do the 05/06 2.5i's run a DMFW (oem) as well, I would assume so but i definitely could be wrong? Single mass conversion may also be an option to consider.

Archived