LegacyGT.com

What could be wrong with my DDM HID headlights?

dfalk

First off I have this set of HIDs in my car, http://www.xenonexpert.com/ddm_kit.html , the 35watt kit 5000K and they are a little over 3 years old. So for the past 2 months or so when I go to turn them on the passenger side doesnt always want to turn on. If I turn the lights off and back on real quick it will fire up. Sometimes I have to do this 5-10 times real quick for it to come on.

The driver side always turns on no matter what, the passenger side is the only one with a problem. Another strange thing I noticed is if I unplug all the connections and plug them back in the headlight will fire up the first time right away for a day or 2. To me it sounds like some sorta connection issue, but could it be the light or ballast? I dont think it could be cause once it turns on the light is its normal brightness and it will stay on until I turn it off.

I havnt realy looked into anything yet (just got pulled over last night for it so figured I better fix it) but tonight Ill swap the blubs and ballasts and see if the problem follows or stays. Anything else I should look for?

I had the exact same issue with mine, although not as often as you've been experiencing. Passenger light would turn on at first-fire 95% of the time, driver's side 100% of the time. Never found the cause, and developed a habit of firing the headlights twice to make sure they were both on.

I had the DDM 35 watt 4500k on my car from November 2007 to May(?) 2011 with no other issues. I was curious of of the Toshiba HIR bulbs, so I gave them a try and gave my DDM kit to a friend, and they still work.

I doubt switching the bulbs would work, but worth a try since I haven't really looked into it myself. It wasn't really an issue for me, just annoying which prompted me to try out the HIRs.

I do miss the output and cutoff of the HIDs, so I may be getting the 55 watt Raptor kit with the harness straight from ddmtuning.com soon.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

You need a relay harness. What's happening is the ballast isn't getting enough juice to fire the bulb right away. The wiring for our cars isn't made for HID's so you run the risk of not getting enough power to light them.

Adding a relay harness will turn the stock wiring into a "trigger" which will allow direct power from the battery to your HID's. they'll fire up every time then.

Relay harnesses are really easy to make and I've made a few in my day. Check out this link. http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting/35366-how-make-relay-harness.html

It's for a civic so the connectors will be different but the concept remains the same.

Dan

To those who suggested a relay harness - Ive had one installed since day 1.

But last night I switched ballasts sides. I also took some contact cleaner and cleaned every plug in connection on the ballasts/bulb. I also took a wire brush to my ground connection and really cleaned it up, along with the power wire coming directly off the + terminal on my battery.

So far they're firing up the first time but well see how long it lasts.

You don't need a relay harness for a 35W HID kit. The peak current draw (during firing) is ~58 W which is basically identical to the nominal 55W headlight.

Swap the ballasts and see if the problem moves, but its probably corroded connectors. Most electrical problems can be traced to bad connectors...

ignitor is going, it's how those kits ultimately remind you they're a bargain -- it will get progressively worse until it quits completely.

if you were to bother to table test it and listen very closely when it fails to fire you'd hear it faintly 'ticking.' 3 years is a hell of a run though for a 35w ddm kit.

I've had this issue from the get go on mine (purchased a few months ago but just installed in the last few weeks). I don't believe it's the ballast on mine as I first swapped ballasts and it continued on the same side. Then I swapped bulbs and it moved with the bulb.

I'm a growing tired of it though so it's time to contact DDM for some replacements.

Just though Id update you all. Its been almost 2 weeks since this post and since swapping the bulbs/ballasts, and cleaning the connectors the lights have fired up the first time every single time.

So if your having this problem Id check all your connections. Make there they are clean, a good ground, and tightly connected.

Archived