LegacyGT.com

Trans Swapable ?

Hey guys,

I had posted about a 97 legacy outback i bought with the blown tranny

so i found a wrecker with a 96 2.5 l with the 4eat, his books say that i wont match, the code of the tranny says tz102z2cba and mine is aba, im thinking it should fit, but dont wanna find out after i buy it

thanks !

any tips on how to get it out ?

i have to drop the exhaust and the bolts look super rusted, i dont wanna break them off or i wont get it back on, i think ill warm it up and slap some penetrating oil and hope for the best, what about the sub frame ? do i have to remove that too ?

• I Donated

You dont have to drop the subframe.

- remove exhaust

- remove exhaust heat shield

- remove driveshaft

- remove CVs

- remove starter

- remove shift linkage

- remove flexplate bolts

- remove bellhousing bolts

- remove trans mount & crossmember

- remove trans

The trick to removing the CVs is there is a pin that holts the inner part of the axle to the trans. You have to knock it out with a punch and hammer. Its called a spring pin. Go to the Subaru dealer and buy two new ones, because they usually get destroyed when you remove them.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Okay, i got the old trans out, then realized the axle seals on the new one are shot, i took them out and replaced them with the old ones that were in good condition, I didn't actually pull out the seal from the cover, I swapped the covers, then tried to replace them at the same torque. I read that I can blow my diff bearings if there not correctly torqued where they were,

So now I cant get the trans into place, me and my father on the ground trying to get it in are having a hard time, we managed to the a floor jack under the transfer case but that's not a center point to actually lift the entire trans, anyone tackle this ? im thinking maybe a come-along and try to pull it from the top.

anyways its late, il try it again tomorrow

Archived