LegacyGT.com

Installed sways and links!

jasejase

Long day yesterday... Installed whiteline adjustable 22/20 sway bars in the front and rear, kartboy endlinks all around, and avo reinforcement brackets for the rear.... On my spec.b, and my buddies 09 ob xt.

Did mine first. Didnt do quite the amount of pre-game research that we should have. So it took a while. Everyone is pretty much spot on with the wiggling out of the old sways being a major PITA. Hint on the fronts - just remove the suspension brace underneath the car. it will fall right out.

Used all the torque specs from m spranks vacation pics. Awesome - thanks Mike!

The rear reinforcement bracket can give you some troubles as there is no set of instruction on these things. The torque specs for that bolt was tough to find in the service manual too, but we got it.

We actually jacked up the car (whole front, and then switched to whole rear end), and used jack stands. We ended up taking the tires off too, just made it that much easier. To put load on the car for the obxt (other wise it was nearly impossible to get the endlinks on as the kb's are much shorter than the stock ob xt endlinks), we simply jacked up the rear hub to put some pressure on her.

We tightened everything 2/3 of the way, and then dropped the cars, and torqued all the endlink bolts to spec once the weight of the actual car was applied to the wheels.

Also - we didnt end up using any of the spacers that came with the endlinks. They seemed pretty straight to us. There are alot of posts on these spacers, seems some ppl use them, and some dont!

BOTH cars show signficant improvement in responsiveness (endlinks), and cornering (sways). Well worth the long day. The first car took... well - a while! But the obxt, soup to nuts, took about 2 to 2.5 hours total. The things you learn as you go :)

Long day is the gentle way to say it. I think we're both sore from crawling around under the cars all day.

As another tip you only need the following size tools to do the job:

12mm

14mm

17mm (This is for the new bolts with the KartBoys)

19mm (Tires & AVO rear reinforcement to Rear Crossmember bolt)

Have both sockets & open end wrenchs (or the speed ones) for all sizes.

Once you've done one car it really flies. We did the front bar soup to nuts torqued and all in under an hour. The rear bar was more challenging on the XT as you actually have to preload both rear hubs at the same time to get the shorter KartBoy links installed. Probably should have gone with the adjustable AVO's in the rear.

Jeff

If u put it on jack stands u might as well take them off. You have to have full load on the suspension before u torque up the end links. So we hand tightened everything then dropped it and torqued it on the ground. Getting the sways out (rear ESP) is much easier with the wheels off IMO.

If u do ramps you can just torque it all at once. But I think it's easier to get to everything with the wheels off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could certainly do that as well... one more thing to give me grief i guess... The wheels are easy to remove and torque back to spec imo. But that is def. an option.

I realized (as outlined in another post) that i put the front endlinks on the rear and vice versa. )(*$#@#$

another hour in the garage this weekend!

Archived