LegacyGT.com

17" wheel offset to clear wilwoods?

shralp

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out if I can find a 17" rim that has a decent offset to clear my Wilwood fronts, (4 piston superlight bridgebolt design sold by Eric Wong at Brakeswap on this forum). I know that it was designed supposedly for stock rims but wow, its just too close for my comfort. The back of the rim spoke just barely grazes past the caliper! I don't want to go to 18"s if I don't have to, these are going to be a winter specific set. If the stockers on my '05 are 17x7 with 55mm offset couldn't I just go with a 17" with a slightly different offset to fix the problem? Do I need to go up or down in offset? Don't need much of a difference just a few millimeters more for safety margin. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

You can go to about a 48 offset without most setups below 8.5 wide without any issue for fitment, and the closer to 48 you go from the stock 55, the more clearance you'll gain. Spoke design plays a role too, so keep that in mind. Offset is on the distance from the hub to the edge, so some spokes will go out from the hub the same direction as the offset that will gain more clearance with the same offset as another wheel.
It's cool; I'm with the band

I have the Wilwood front calipers and have my winter tires mounted on the stock GT wheels. Clearance is close but I've never had any interference problem between caliper and wheel. You could use 3 or 5 mm wheel spacers to give you that small extra clearance you are looking for. A spacer that thin should be safe to use with stock length bolts.

Yup, thought about that. Strange thing though, I used 3mm spacers on my Sport Edition 17" rims with winter tires last year and had HORRIBLE wheel shake. Something about needing to use specific hub centric spacers or something? The appear to be kind of expensive. Where did you source your spacers from? Thanks for any info you can offer.

What I've been using on the rears are just some cheap cast universal spacers from a chain auto parts store. Never have had any vibration problem

with them but I am planning to swap them out for a pair of these hub centric billet spacers when I switch to my winter set of wheels and tires.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Subaru-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-Wheel-Spacer-5mm-5-x-100-NEW-/18/%21Bffj8,QBmk~$%28KGrHqIOKjIEry,U1i%28ZBLBeL5g2dg~~_12.JPG

Archived