LegacyGT.com

Rebuilt/Re-manufactured Titles

Hi all,

I had posted some time ago in the introductions thread that I was going to look at a 2007 Spec B. They wouldn't give me crap for my truck so I decided to sell it private party. Anyway, my truck might sell this weekend but in the mean time the Spec B I was looking at went bye bye.

I don't really plan on buying one with a rebuilt title and can afford to wait for the right car but I'm wondering if any of you all have bought a car like this and what kind of special problems you may have encountered.

There are a few out there for sale right now with rebuilt or re-manufactured titles. I imagine you could get quite a deal as long as the accident or damage that was repaired isn't too bad.

If the car was damaged so badly, it was a total loss then I wouldn't buy it.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I did a quick look at that make model and year and they are valued at 15-20K which means the damage to total them is 11-15k+. It depends on how picky you are but they can be repaired to dam close to original but they will never be like factory.

They also tend to rust out earler because the factory E-coat has been disturbed. Even though most have to go through a state inspection to get a rebuilt title they are mostly looking for stolen parts. I am not saying it can't be done right or be a decent car again but thats a ton of damage.

On the other hand with all the airbags the newer cars have, the right hit can stack up to a few thousand+ just in airbags, sensors, and seatbelt actuators, when the actual damage wasn't extreme. A solid front end deer hit is 2500-4000, alot more if the conditions were right to set a couple bags off. If you are going to buy one and don't know what to look for have someone check it out who knows what they are looking at.

I have seen quite a few cars that should have been in the junk yard, end up back on the road. I have also seen a bunch that were totaled that were drivable and had no structural damage, just cosmetic (hail damage). Its a crapshoot unless you

know why it was totaled

Hi all,

I had posted some time ago in the introductions thread that I was going to look at a 2007 Spec B. They wouldn't give me crap for my truck so I decided to sell it private party. Anyway, my truck might sell this weekend but in the mean time the Spec B I was looking at went bye bye.

I don't really plan on buying one with a rebuilt title and can afford to wait for the right car but I'm wondering if any of you all have bought a car like this and what kind of special problems you may have encountered.

There are a few out there for sale right now with rebuilt or re-manufactured titles. I imagine you could get quite a deal as long as the accident or damage that was repaired isn't too bad.

One thing is you can never trust the pictures of the damage they show you. On the TDIs forum I'm on an EBay sellerl has been caught more than once, getting the car partly fixed, taking pictures and showing those as the original damage.

A VIN search pulled up a salvage yard auction site where the original photos were posted and it had a lot more damage then the seller was implying with his faked pictures.

In short I'd never buy one

On the TDIs forum I'm on an EBay sellerl has been caught more than once, getting the car partly fixed, taking pictures and showing those as the original damage.

Wow, that is super sleezy! I always take picture of my cars when I have an accident. Some of those accident show up on carfax when your about to sell it, its nice to have pictures especially if it's just a scratched bumper cover.

You make it sound like "accidents" happen quite often for you. :eek::lol:

OP- Buying this way is always a way to save some money up front. You just have to decide, knowing the rebuilder, the car's history, and what the damage was if it's worth it to save that money now but possibly pay later. On the other hand, people have bought brand new and had things fail just outside of warranty. Sadly, it's a crap shoot either way but I'd rather have the car that has no damage just out of knowledge sake.

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

Thanks for your replies.:)

I agree that this wouldn't be the best way to get a daily drive that you'd like to resell later unless you physically saw it before the repair or it's very well documented. I do think this would be a great way to get a track car though. If I was just getting a toy I think I'd consider this pretty seriously.

Meanwhile, I'm still not having much luck selling my truck. Oh well, patience is a virtue I guess. :spin: <---- Kind of looks like pacing about....:lol:

Archived