LegacyGT.com

CV joint lash?

I have a 1998 Legacy, 2.2, automatic transmission. 150,000 miles.

At low speed (under 10mph) and at the limit of the steering, I have a vibration/noise that seems to come from directly under the front of the car. Sometimes I think it is more prevalent when turning hard left, but I'm not really sure.

I recently replaced the steering boot on the passenger side, but it was making the noise prior to my work. I inspected the rack visually, and everything seemed ok. There is no play in the rack, and the teeth under the boot seemed sharp and clean, so I don't think the boot had been broken very long. (I did re-lubricate it)

I jacked up the front end (both sides) and rotated each tire individually, then back and forth (as if I was quickly going from reverse to drive) and there is a banging noise. If I hold the wheel at a stop, and push the wheel either forward or backward, there seems to be a "lash" of about 3/4 of an inch, maybe an inch. Is this normal?

The axles appear to be fine, and by saying that, I mean the boots are not split, and there is no (and I mean zero) grease being slung about. I have heard of the joints failing without the boot failing, but in my experience, the boot failure causes the axle to fail. I'm sure someone out there has had good boots on bad axles.

From visual inspection, the tie rods and ends are good, the ball joints appear solid (with the wheel jacked up, I grabbed top and bottom of tire, trying to cause movement. There was none.) Also the axles LOOK good.

So, what do you think? CV axles? Rack and pinion? Kanooter valve? Maybe take the summer air out of my tires and put the winter air in? It is getting cooler at night now..... :lol:

Seriously, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

The noise was there before fixing the bellows. I used a couple of reference marks to make sure I returned the tie rod end to its proper alignment.

Looking at some the wheel bearing threads, am I better off to just replace the entire hub?

How can I be 100% sure its the wheel bearing? The spin the wheel with one hand on the spring? Side to side movement?

Thanks.

Okay,

I checked the wheel bearings. They are fine. No play, no noise, smooth as butter.

Where is this steering knuckle you speak of? By the rack? On top of the rack where the steering connects?

I cannot rest until I figure it out, and I'm driving my wife crazy. Right now, if someone steals my car, I could only identify it by removing the tires and pulling and prodding at the cv axles/wheel bearings/tie rod ends.

Thanks,

Jim

• 1 month later...

Geo_8

I'm assuming your car is an automatic transmission. If not, disregard below......

My issue ended up being "torque bind". As I am new to Subaru, I was barking up the wrong tree initially. If you do a search on this forum for torque bind, you will find tons of information on duty cylinders, etc. etc.

In my case, I was able to do a "drain and fill" on my transmission fluid (notice I did NOT say flush). Drain your transmission at the plug. You should get a little under a gallon out of it, I think it is about 3.8 quarts. Replace with new. Drive it a little, and do it again. Drive it a little, and do it a 3rd time. This should replace about 90% of your fluid, which is about as good as its going to get, from what I hear.

IF your issue is torque bind, this MIGHT solve your problem. It did mine. The fluid I drained was black, and smelled nasty, as I figure this fluid had been in my car for 150,000 miles. My tranny now shifts much better as well.

Good luck. Really use the search feature on here. There is tons of information, and the guys are pretty nice.

Again, best of luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived