LegacyGT.com

lower ball joint/suspension

I am trying to locate the root cause of why when I hit bumps it sounds like something is going to fall off. This only started happening after my Autozone Front axles have been replaced.

I have also recently had my alignment done in hopes that would take care of it, and it has not.

I am about to do a lower ball joint and outer tie rod replacement/upgrade.

Also, on another note, when I turn the wheel slightly to the left as to keep the car on the road, without accelerating, it sounds like something is vibrating/shaking, but the steering wheel does not shake anymore since the alignment has been done.

Anyone have any insight on why I am getting this behavior from the care.

• I Donated
jack up the front end of the car and see if you have any play in the wheels. it will help you narrow down where the problem is coming from.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The only movement I am getting is rotational, but since it is in gear, it's only minimal. I tried moving the axle to see if there is any play, and nothing.

I will be doing bushing replacement soon, but I would like to fix the root cause or know what the root cause is first, if possible.

• I Donated

What I mean is grab the tire at 3 & 9 o clock and try and push the sides of the tire in and out...

do the same at 12 & 6 o clock

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

What I mean is grab the tire at 3 & 9 o clock and try and push the sides of the tire in and out...

do the same at 12 & 6 o clock

yes, I should have said I did that too. No camber/castor play. That's what you are talking about, right?

gotya. I will double check tomorrow. Will there be any play at all. How hard should I try and move the wheel? Also, do I need to have both sides of the front in the air or can I check it with just one side up.

In the process of doing the passenger side axle, I did notice that the outer tie rod end was leaking grease as the boot had been torn. Thanks John for the help.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it has been a while since I updated this thread, but while I had the car up for my header install, I noticed my front right wheel has movement on the toe in and out. I suspect this to be the issue of my suspension seeming loose.

broknindarkagain can you tell me what the root cause and solution would be to fix this?

Caster and Camber is tight.

Going to order my lower ball joint and tie rod ends to replace this weekend. That was the problem of my weird sounding suspension issue.

• I Donated
Side to side play is usually an indication of a bad inner OR outer tie rod on that wheel...however sometimes ball joints or wheel bearings can cause the same symptom. Its best to have someone else shake the wheel for you while you get under and look. You will be able to see the play in whatever is bad

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Yeah, that is what we were able to determine. The lower ball joint had a lot of play in it. Plus it looks like the boot on it is damaged. It must have got that way when we changed the axle out. I know we had a hard time replacing the axle on that side too.

The hub has no play in it. Is there another way to isolate the hub just to verify that the hub need no replacement?

If it doesn't move at 12-oclock and 6-oclock, then the hub is fine.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Glad I found this thread. I need to do the same test on my 98. It needs new struts, but Im not sure if that's all it needs.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• I Donated
If it doesn't move at 12-oclock and 6-oclock, then the hub is fine.

Usually this is the case, but I have come across cars before with bearings that are so bad that they had play at 3 / 9, and 12/6...however that seems to be a pretty rare thing

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

yeah, the only play is 9/3 not 12/6. Plus I saw where it is moving during the 9/3 play. Only bad thing now is that I just got word I will be moving back to New England for my job at Polycom again.

So I have to get this last thing done before packing the household goods and then leaving for Northern Mass.

Anyone know if I have to do an alignment after the lower ball joints and outer tie rod ends?

Archived