LegacyGT.com

HELP!! MY car is broken.. :(

I have had my 2005 Legacy for just over one month.

Its been going really well no problems what so ever untill tonight..

I got my car and i decided to purchase a mechincal Warrenty.

There is a subaru shop near my work so i took my car there about 1 month ago and they changed my diff and gearbox oil. :) no problems

I purchased a Auto Gauge stepper Boost gauge and i asked Subaru to install it for me.

I went and picked my car up at 5pm and the gauge was all installed.

Car seemed fine.

Drove to my mates and then on the way to my home i stoped at a set of traffic lights and i heard this funny noise.

i thought thats not my car. I then pulled into the nearest gas staion and turned my car off. turned it back on and it make the same noise.

A really really really really loud conk conk knocking noise.

I turned the car off and called the subaru place and told them that my car is making a really really loud conk conk noise.

They said get it towed to our shop.

i got the car to the shop and the guy open up the cam cover.

The cam belt was loose as.

He told me that it looks like the part has failed. and that is has nothing at all to do with you. he told me that the part that is broken cannot be caused by driver error or what ever u wanna call it.

Cam belt was done when i brought the car from a car dealer. car has done 11500 ks now i brought it at 11100ks.

Now all i really wanna know is will my mech warrety be voided because i put a gauge in and also what the **** caused my cam belt to become loose.

Im really worried about this. If i hadnt put the gauge in i wouldnt make a issue but because i put a gauge in im really worried that mite say no we wont cover you you put a boost gauge in.

Im sure that there is noting in common about the two issues

Please help

You said, "Cam belt was done when i brought the car from a car dealer."

I would think they should cover it. I'd try them first. The warrenty company may not cover it if they find out it's a install error.

I'm no expert on these things.

Good Luck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Might be that someone skipped replacing the belt tensioner or another belt roll when they replaced the timing belt.

Or that it was a bad roll/tensioner that got installed.

If you are lucky it's just a question of replacing the belt, rolls & tensioner. If not you might have had valve interference bending some of your valves.

The latter sucks...

453747.png

yea im hoping not that much damage i will know on Monday. I really needa no about my mechicnal warrnty tho. do they still cover?

is that a common problem? messed up.. the subbie guy thinks it mite be installer botched up

Its not a common problem. Its a installer error that caused this.

Worst case your pistons hit the valves, these are interference engines.

I'd check with the installer first. Have you guy put in writing what he found and what he say's caused it. then go after the installer.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

my car is being looked at. and ive been told so far the tensior bolt snaped and that he wants to get a new bolt and then put it back and try fire up the car. Im thinking that cause it broke that they really have no idea. coz that doenst sound right to me.

if they deny your warentee because of that ..just sit in front of there building for a day or two holding a sign saying they denyed your warentee because of a boost gauge. i'm pretty sure they will loose at least some business

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Changing the Cam belt is one thing. However it seems like the at least the tensioner and related pulleys all should be changed at the same time also. I had a two part timing belt replacement.

My guess they changed the cam belt but left those related parts in.

Take it in don't worry about it. If the engine is running there is no serious damage.

its just as if you had your oil changed and they didn't tighten the plug .. you paid them to do a professional job because you were not confidant to do it your self or what ever reason. and they probably overtightened or what ever the tentioner and it broke afterwards. its why they charged the price they did they have to include warentee with the work.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

thanks guys i got my car back. funny story tho. the original problem was tensior bolt was on to tite and the bolt broke.they fixed it and i got it back.

i drove it home and heard a fucked up noise sounded like an engine mount. i called them back had a go at them they came and towed my car for free and called me back later that day and said sorry about that noise it was because we forgot to put your AC bracket back on. i went off my tree at them. lol

Archived