LegacyGT.com

question about the 4 speed auto...need your help.

i have a 2009 auto 2.5 SE.

where the hell is the drain plug. Or which plug is the drain plug?

I see two 17mm bolts and one with a torx looking hole. that one is clearly labeled differential oil.

so is the bolt down below right under the gear shifter the bold for the tranny drain?

there is another pan/bolt up further to the front of the car where im assuming is the oil drain plug because its right unda the dipstick for the engine oil.

bare with me guys. im trying to start doing the regular maintenance on this car as ive done with other brands.

so i removed the bolt that on the pan thats right under the gear shifter, drain the fluid and put the bolt back. remove the dipstick from the engine, start refilling and the thing overflowed. WHAT!!. I got 5 qts of tranny fluid. i have 2 bottles left.

i also noticed that the old tranny fluid looks dark/dark brown and the new fluid looks redish in color. this is OEM fluid.

what did i missed?

I tried to do some research but nothing is there for the 4 speed trannies. pretty much just 5 speed auto.

so i removed the bolt that on the pan thats right under the gear shifter, drain the fluid and put the bolt back. remove the dipstick from the engine, start refilling and the thing overflowed. WHAT!!. I got 5 qts of tranny fluid. i have 2 bottles left.

i also noticed that the old tranny fluid looks dark/dark brown and the new fluid looks redish in color. this is OEM fluid.

what did i missed?

I tried to do some research but nothing is there for the 4 speed trannies. pretty much just 5 speed auto.

"remove the dipstick from the engine"

What are you doing ?

changing the oil and filter or draining the manual or automatic transmission ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

title clearly says 4 speed automatic. ..

you also need to have the engine running to check automatic trans fluids

that will probably suck up the other 2L of oil.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Hey, look what I found.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/tranny-fluid-changing-163426.html

Sorry, couldn't pass it up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Do a search in the 09 manual for words like transmisson fluild fill in the small block at the top of the page.

i have been doing that for a long time. there are limited info about 4ET on this board.

There are wite ups with 5ET, rear diff fluid change but nothing for 4speed AUTO. not manual.

The guy's at AZPinstalls are good with help, call them.

check page 98 in the 09 manual

I kept seaching for "drain plug" and that came up.

i read the manual and i did drain from the right plug....according to the manual. but now im over flowing and dont know what to do to get it back down. i tried to retrain the it back down but its still filled up in the dip stick hole. im just confuse.

shouldnt what goes in must come out?

How much does the tranny hold ?

How much do you get out when you drain it ?

I believe they won't take in as much as they hold, because you can never get it all out.

I'm leaving work in a few minutes. So I'll be gone for a while.

PLEASEEEEEEEE HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPP.

I know i im not the only one on here has a 4 speed tranny.

Someone PLEASE tell me what im doing wrong.

why the hell the fluid not going down?

what could i have done wrong just simply draining and refilling this thing.

i change de lever in various setting to see if the fluid will go down and nothing. its been more than an hour now.

i drove the fliipin car to see if the shifts will bring it down. nope. hell its now shifting as if its slipping, which means something isnt right

i remove the drain plug to see if the fluid wid go down and nothing.

someone with the knowledge please help me.

the manual does not give any detailed info.

how do i get the fluid down?

i sucked the fluid back out. i got about 3/4 bottle of fluid out. the fluid is now a little above the full mark on the dip stick.

however the tranny is shifting rough/slipping.

i just find it hard that a simple drain and refill would cause me so much grief.

thanks Max Cap.

I sent one of the members here a PM and he really help me out.

I drain the tranny, but was filling up from the differential fluid dipstick.

I hoping and praying i didnt do any damage.

By the time i figured everything out, the subaru dealer was closed so i didnt get to buy more fluid.

Im going to purchase a few bottles of diffy fluid and 5 more qts of tranny. imma try drain/flush out the diffy fluid thats there now.

the tranny dipstick is on the DRIVER side. ive never seen that dipstick. all this time im checking fluid, ive been checking the diffy fluid thinking its the tranny fluid.

pray for me.

i hope if everything goes well, this post can be helpful to another subaru novice.

Archived