LegacyGT.com

Pathetic Power?

I have a 3rd Gen LGT and a 05 Kia Sedona. While the Sedona would whoop my LGT in a straight-line in dry weather. I spin easily during wet weather with the van while the LGT just growls back with come on wuss, there's 2 more inches of pedal left, lets go. I'll trade off the dry weather straight-line performance to know I'm much more surefooted when it comes to the nasty stuff.

The CVT's are a strange animal if you own one. They are quicker with the paddle shifters than just leaving it in the automatic mode. I don't like the paddle shifters and never use them, but you may want to try that for a couple extra tenths of a second.

• 4 weeks later...

I've never driven another Legacy, only Imprezas, Foresters and Justys! :lol:

My new 2012 Legacy 2.5 w/ CVT has excellent power compared to lots of other 4cyl automatics I've driven. I think that's the key with the 170hp 2.5L. The CVT keeps you right in the 'power band' (if there is one!).

Joel

A key point in all this is elevation, N/A cars really suffer. We were logging the entire time from Las Vegas up through Utah and back to Seattle, and you could see major differences between sea level and most of Utah. A turbocharged vehicle handles elevation changes easily, just watch them rumble up a steep pass in 5th gear on cruise while all the n/a's start downshifting (not just 2.5i n/a's, all n/a's!).

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

I hate to break it to you but these cars are SLOW! ;) There arent many cars it is faster than except maybe a 3 cyl Geo Metro, and maybe just maybe a Aveeo hatch :lol:

Disagree! :p

True, the 2.5i is not built for a drag strip, an neither made to compete against performance-centered small cars like the VW GTI or Mitsu Lancer.

Here is the deal.

If you wanted to buy a honda civic, you should have bought that.

If you wanted to buy a lancer, you should have bought that.

If you wanted to buy a WRX , then you should have bought that.

Anyone who bought a 2.5i has already thought of what he or she is getting.

If you got the car, because you can't afford a GT, then be glad anyway.

And I still don't get why people calling this car slow and slower than anything else. When I'm in the mood, when I get up on an highway ramp, it's not like I'm falling behind because I'm lacking power, neither try to race a V8 Mustang, because I'm well aware of the capabilities of the car.

On regular twisty roads, the car's handling is exceptional. I occasionally drive a Hyundai Sonata too and an Chevy AStro, and I hate the soap box feeling and the body roll. Compared to the Subi, I feel like I'm gonna flip over any minute. REGARDLESS that it feels a bit faster, it also feels unsafer.

And if someone would tell me to buy an Accord or, because it's faster and has more power (which is true, especially the V6) , then I will refuse, because suddenly I get these flashes of memories of me last winter, stuck on the shoulder of a road for 3hrs in 2 feet of snow (and minus degrees outside) and my friend pulled me out with his 96 legacy wagon. And then it happened again on another road, except I smoked my tires away trying to get up on a hill. That's when I decided f__k front wheel drive, to hell with rear wheel too.

So, for the money I paid for this car and its power and capabilities, it's still a good trade off.

p.s.

By the way, no one mentioned resetting the ECU, could help if it wasn't done since the purchase. The car maybe retaining its previous owners' driving style. Pull off the negative cable, pump the brake to drain off any electricity stored away , then reconnect and use a good quality gas.

p.s. for smoking everyone on the road, and without spending way too much money, I recommend a crotch rocket. I got an old FZR1000, you can bring a Ferrari into the fight, you're going down..;)

Archived