LegacyGT.com

Thinking of '05 LGT Ltd, 85,000 miles

patrickb

Wanting to tap the collective wisdom of the forum...

I've been looking at a 2005 Legacy GT Limited with 85,000 miles. The body and interior look very nice. The dealer has offered to do the 100,000 mile maintenance, including timing belt and water pump. I know from reading this forum that there are issues with the turbo chargers on this particular year. Is there anyway I can tell if the turbo has been replaced?

Also, the car was bought at an auction from a new car dealer. Any idea what the purchase would be on a car of this age and mileage? I don't want to pay too much (natch), but I also want the guy to make a few bucks on the deal.

Price is $13,999.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Patrick

Spark plugs are changed out at 60,000 miles.

Timing belt etc. is good for 105,000 miles. 85 is kind of early.

I did mine early at 96,000 miles because I didn't want to do it in Feburary.

The price is a little high for that many miles IMO but I'm no expert on price, it's not a 5mt GT wagon.

Look at the nut's and bolts on the turbo and heat shield and the tmic to see if they have tool marks on them. That will be in indication of work be done.

Learn to check the oil evry couple of day's until you see how much oil the engine uses. Top it off every time. Don't let the oil get to low.

Have them remove the banjo filter on the back of the pasenger side head.

How are the tires?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The tires look okay. I'd put new ones on, if I buy it.

I talked to the dealer who serviced the car previously to it being sold at auction and he said that the timing belt, water pump, turbo, and other things were replaced. Since the car has less than 85,000 miles on it, and based on the information I've read on this forum, my assumption is that the turbo failed. Is that a fair assumption?

check out http://www.pursuitauto.com/inventory.aspx?_makef=subaru

or cars.com im sure you will get some lower milage LGT or OBXT

Dan at pursuit auto is not too far from you...besides he has a few OBXT

in awesome condition and lower mileage and you can probably talk him down a bit...i dont get commission..but mention my name...Omar in chicago or CHef O

i still want an OBXT but only see em in 05 or 06...i like the 08-09....

GL

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

The tires look okay. I'd put new ones on, if I buy it.

I talked to the dealer who serviced the car previously to it being sold at auction and he said that the timing belt, water pump, turbo, and other things were replaced. Since the car has less than 85,000 miles on it, and based on the information I've read on this forum, my assumption is that the turbo failed. Is that a fair assumption?

Yes I would say that is a safe assumption. Check the oil very carefully. May be ask them to pull the oil filter and cut it open to see if there are any metal particles in it.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Be wary of a car sold at Auction, and understand that the previous dealer has no legal obligation to tell you the truth.

I agree with Max's assertion (which I believe he made in another thread): Assume that the most recent major service was not performed. The expense of a major service is typically a reason for trade-in/sale of a car.

If the car was previously a lease car, then I'd definitely stay away. Lease cars are very frequently neglected throughout the duration of the lease.

I remember talking to someone who had recently gotten rid of his 36k Audi lease. During those 36k, he did nothing but put gas in it. No oil changes, no services, no maintenance, nothing. Just gas. The only time he lifted the hood, was to add water in the washer fluid reservoir (not even washer fluid!). The BMW he got to replace it is also a lease, and he has no intention of changing his methods for this car.

The mentality of many who lease, is that the higher cost of the lease is partially recouped by foregoing any and all maintenance. If you look at 12k/yr mileage, even at stretched OCI's that's $200+ in savings per year. No 30k service saves another $600+. Not to mention the time saved by not doing those things, and time is money.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Here's the Carfax:

09/08/2004 Pre-delivery inspection completed

10/01/2004 Pre-delivery inspection completed

02/28/2005 Battery replaced

09/30/2005 Registered as personal vehicle

10/17/2005 Console armrest replaced

11/04/2005 Title issued or updated

First owner reported

Loan or lien reported

12/13/2005 Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated Drivability/performance checked

10/20/2006 Title issued or updated

Correction to record

Loan or lien reported

10/30/2006 Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated

11/08/2006 Title issued or updated Loan or lien reported

04/24/2007 Tires rotated, Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated, Maintenance inspection completed, Radio replaced

12/06/2007 Headlight bulb(s) replaced, Washed/detailed

08/14/2008 Registration issued or renewed, Registration updated when owner moved the vehicle to a new location

01/02/2009 Wheels checked

06/23/2010 Registration issued or renewed

07/14/2010 Oil and filter changed chassis lubricated, Electrical system checked, Induction system serviced, Recommended maintenance performed

12/15/2010 Engine electrical system checked, Spark plug(s) replaced, Drivability/performance checked

12/22/2010 Vehicle offered for sale

03/04/2011 Drivability/performance checked

06/27/2011 Listed as a dealer vehicle Sold at auction

At some point after 7/24/2010, the timing belt, water pump, turbo, and other stuff were replaced. I haven't got the details of when and what happened yet, but I'm working on getting that info.

I'm having a pre-purchase inspection done on the car on Monday. I'll see what they have to say about it.

I took it for a spin and it's a blast to drive. (Makes me even sicker about losing out on the white '09 Spec.B)

BTW, I checked pursuitauto.com and his one Legacy GT Limited has about the same number of miles and it's basically the same price.

Thanks for all the info. I greatly appreciate it.

Just noticed something... Carfax show 85,412 on the miles and the car has 83,000+.

Archived