LegacyGT.com

red fluid leaking by right front tire.

I think it is auto matic tranny fluid, but the darn thing is way behind that and not on one side?

I have a 1996 subaru legacy L, 2.2 automatic tranny.

I figure it could be brake fluid or power steering fluid, but they are ok, but as far as I can tell the auto has fluid in it. maybe it needs more. I have a sloped driveway so it's hard to tell.

Are there cooler hose's running from the auto tranny to the radiator? could that be it? I have sat around running the car pumping the brakes, turing the wheel, putting it into drive and all the gears and such, but no luck on the leak, I see it dripping off the oil pan, and off the whole underside on the right. :(

Are there lines I can check? anyhow I ran out of light and now I am searching hoping it is going to be easier then pulling the tranny. :(

• I Donated

Its probably transmission fluid. You do have two lines coming from the trans to the radiator for the cooler. I've seen those leak....I even had one blow clean off on the highway puking out ALL of my trans fluid and leaving me stranded.

The best way to trace down the leak is to get some brake cleaner (2 or 3 cans) and clean all of the crap under the car thats leaked out. Go drive it for a mile or so and then jack it up and take a look to see if you can see where its coming from. You will probably never trace down the leak if its already soaked the undercarriage.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I'd say Power steering fluid (which is still ATF).

IIRC the 4EAT cooler lines run up the passenger side, don't they?

I agree with Brokn on finding the source of the leak.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That doesnt matter. The fluid doesn't always drip right from where its leaking

But to cross the car, it would be obvious. The power steering lines ARE on the pass side, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ok cool, I will look into the power steering lines. there is a lot of oil on that side of the car, I think it had valve cover leak before i got it. and now that red fluid has totaly coated everything. When i got the car, it was down on power steering fluid, not much but I did add some.

Can I assume it is not the seal around the tranny? I was looking at it, and it seems the auto fluid is way back past the firewall, and the thing closest the the motor is the front diff?

Archived