LegacyGT.com

Looking into a new set of wheels

mhoran89

Hello everyone, I currently have a 2011 Legacy 2.5i.

I am planning on running snow tires on the stock 7 spoke 16's and moving up to 17's for all seasons the rest of the year.

I have been looking at older Legacy 5 spoke wheels but every time I find a set they are crazy far away and pickup only. I do like the look of these though. I have also been looking at some Drag DR-42's but have no idea how well made they are.

I will consider used wheels in good condition, and if they have some scratches/curb rash I might just end up painting them or plasti-dipping them. :D

I am essentially looking for a 17's that look pretty good, are preferably black or silver and don't have some crazy look to them. Two tone is not really an option.

Budget is around $550 for a set.

I am totally open to suggestions, seeing some of the sweet looking wheels a lot of people have acquired on here. I just don't really feel like looking through that 100 page post of aftermarket wheels.

In addition, I have no idea if I should run a 7" wheel or a 7.5" wheel. I would love to get a little bigger contact patch for the summer, however I do not want to rub the fender or have the tire/wheel poke out and look like it does not fit. I am also clueless as to what offset I should be looking at.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Matt

If you plan on staying with stock suspension, it looks like you can run wheels as wide as 8.5 - 9 inches without rubbing or having to pull/roll your fenders.

Damn really? 9 is a little wide. So I can totally look into a 17 X 8?

What size tire would fit on that? As anything goes, the bigger, the more $$. Would a 8 inch wheel / tire really help all that much in terms of handling or would just going up an inch from 16's to 17's help more than width?

Anyone else? Thanks.

17x8's definitely. Going up in diameter with thinner sidewalls (40 or 45 series for 17 and 18s respectively) will help in better turning stability, but may suffer some NVH.

Going wider will also help in stability as well as increase your contact patch on the road (if you don't stretch the tires), which people usually run in the summer while using thinner/stock wheels in the winter.

Read up more here: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

For around 550 price range, you can look for used wheels or get some Drags or XXR. I would prefer 18s, mostly due to how huge the 5th gen opening is. Maybe 18x8 Drag DR31 if that's your style? I would recommend you getting a 8" wide wheel mainly because you can run 235 or 245 tires. I had 2 sets of 18x7.5 wheels, and always would like a set of something that's at least 8" wide.

I think they would fit after all they have the same bolt pattern 5x100.

I think Stock 17x7 10 spoke wheel on the 2010-11 Legacy 3.6 uses 215/50/17 so i think the 225 would stick out a tiny bit which is what i like as it helps from curbing the wheel.

Would these fit:

2009 WRX OEM Wheels 17x7 +55 (5x100).

They are wrapped in Bridgestone Blizzak's in 225/45-R17.

Thanks.

Archived