LegacyGT.com

Installing Up/Down pipe on stock 2005 LGT

CousinLarry

I have a 2005 LGT 5sp. It is stock right now except for a Cobb AP with the first flash.

I got this car to be the "Family Truckster" - so I wanted a little more power, but not much louder.

From some reading, I decided to go with a stock gutted up pipe, and a cat-less DP - keeping the stock exhaust system from DP back.

I have the up pipe already - bought from a member pre-gutted, and did a great job. It was cheap too :)

I just ordered a CNT cat-less DP with the adapter to mate to stock exhaust system.

My Q's - Will I need an O2 sim, or some sort of resistor mod done? Or will that not throw a CEL?

Will that qualify for stage 2 flash? I'm not sure if the stage 2 needs full exhaust?

And last - I tried searching for video to hear the sound of a gutted U/DP with stock mufflers - I can't find anything. Does anyone know of one offhand? If not I guess I'll have to make one :)

Thanks for any help!

Usually with a catted DP you only need to do the 2.2K ohm resistor mod for the EGT sensor or just leave the sensor plugged in and tuck it behind the bulkhead harness. You can disable any other codes, O2sensor, etc. However since your using an AP you will need someone with the Acess or Street tuner software to modify your map in the AP. With the hardware you have in mind your ready for stage II, no cat back needed.

Or go open source and dump the AP.

I am running a full catless 3 inch system with stock cans. Very quiet and stealthy.

With the cobb ap when you reflash it will cover the need for any resistor it shouldn't throw a code. I personally ran a gutted up and down on my vehicle for years with the ap and honesty it was super quiet, so quiet in fact that I felt the stock BPV was loud as hell, I was also running a SPT intake with heatshield at the time though and that is what made the most noise. I think you will enjoy the setup.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Good deal, thanks for the help!

Now how do I get the turbo sound! </ricer>

haha.. In my DSM's I could hear the turbo screaming all day, this one I don't even know it's there.. I hope the open pipes help that out a bit! I need a little bit of sweet turbo audio! hahaaa

Also - is it recommended to get a custom tune instead of the generic "stage" tunes? Or is money spent better elsewhere?

if you want a little bit of turbo sound i suggest pulling your intake silencer that will add just a wee little bit of sound if thats not enough then move towards an aftermarket intake, an SPT intake did a lot of noise for me but honestly i am happy i have my cobb sf now. if you want justa daily driver with a bit more power and not spending too much money go for the standard Ap stg 2 you will get what your looking for. you could always get a custom tune and see more improvements too

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

The 2.2 ohm resister does work well and so does the AP for getting of any CEL. Any UP and DP should allow to run a stage 2 map. You will hear the turbo a little more since there is no cat restricting flow but until you do an intake it won't be as loud as the old DSMs. You can get a lot of power over stock if you plan your modifications right. As some have said here, using the stock mufflers will keep things quiet. As far as a tune, we always recommend a custom tune. Cobb makes their maps safe but they are half a country away so it doesn't really match to what you have and where you are. Since you are in CT look up EFI Logics. They can tune the car and are very knowledgeable on different set ups.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Besides stock, what is the best fitting UP? I'd prefer to keep the EGT and have a flex joint, so I'm thinking Grimmspeed. If I wanted to heat wrap the pipe, would I wrap over the flex as well?

I currently have a STI up, and it's developed a leak. Not surprising because it's slightly larger than the OEM 05 UP. STI on right, OEM LGT on left

305.jpg

E-tuning is better than OTS maps, but dyno tunes are better than E-tunes.

Besides stock, what is the best fitting UP? I'd prefer to keep the EGT and have a flex joint, so I'm thinking Grimmspeed. If I wanted to heat wrap the pipe, would I wrap over the flex as well?

GrimmSpeed or TurboXS for non-oem flex style UP. Personally I have a GS pipe and am happy with the fit.

GS specifically says NOT to wrap the flex section as the added heat can cause it to fail.

My awesome wrapping skills:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2586/stg01.jpg

Thanks for the words! Unfortunately, the downpipe I got from CNT was absolute crap as far as quality goes.

I guess I need to send it back and spend the extra cash on a quality pipe.. So Stage 2 will have to wait for me.

I just hope I can get a replacement soon.. I got my first kid due next month and who knows how much free time I'll have to install pipes.

Anyways, life goes on, live and learn. If something is dirt cheap, it's probably because it's about the same quality as dirt.

I currently have a STI up, and it's developed a leak. Not surprising because it's slightly larger than the OEM 05 UP. STI on right, OEM LGT on left

An STi UP shouldn't leak. It might be bigger but the gasket should still seal it well.

As far as quality products go, everyone has issues. But yes a good company will fit better than the ebay special. Cobb and Invidia are normally the better bets. If you need a shop to get it in and out due to time contact EFI Logics. Don't know where in CT you are but they are a good shop and stand up guys.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

Just put on an Invidia catless up and dp with the grimmspeed adapter into the stock exhaust last weekend with AP stage 2. Wrapped and sealed with a kit from Mach V. I swapped my EGT sensor into the new up-pipe and the O2 sensor in the new downpipe. No CEL, probably due to the AP, but I have a friend with a bugeye who did the same thing without an AP, and also got no CEL, so who knows. Might wanna get yourself a wideband O2 kit...I've got one on the way.

Mach V and a few other places(I think FBP) sell a spacer you can screw into your downpipe and then screw your O2 sensor into which will take it out of the direct flow. Theres one in my downpipe in these pictures, but I'm not using it now. I think this a better option than tricking the computer with a resistor though because the sensor will still be getting a reading.

Anyway...the car is quite a bit faster. More turbo spool noise for sure. You can smell that the cats are gone if your standing around the car idling...but you don't really notice that much of a difference in sound. I like it a lot.

photo-1.thumb.jpg.a42b507332b2854b425e2e09141d4f81.jpg

photo-2.thumb.jpg.0cabb0535b7ac7ebf5415cb33a0a2c0a.jpg

The AP is a much better bet than the O2 sensor fix. A good tune and you won't have any CEL, even catless. The reason I don't like the sensor fix is the fact that you are tricking the ecu into thinking there is less air flowing than there really is. It is better to have it done right than to patch the issue. Stage 2 is a very safe upgrade so I can see people getting away with having no tune at all, although I wouldn't advise it.

-Jake

• 2 weeks later...

Archived