LegacyGT.com

92 ej22 legacy dying and bogging

Hey I'm in need of some help. I have a 92 legacy loyale edition with the ej22 in it fwd 5spd. It has 246,000 miles on it. I bought it back in march and started putting 93 octane in it and it has ran perfectly, until now. I changed the timing belt, wp, thermostat, oil pump seal, cranckshaft seal, pcv valve, and pulleys. It started right up, no problems. And it sounded pretty perfect. Well then I went on a drive, and it died coming to a stop. Then it would start bogging down a little when I would heavily accelerate when before it would get up and go perfectly. I know there are so many of these topics all ovEr the web but nothing exactly like this. Not after doing the timing belt. Also I've read it could be the crankshaft, camshaft sensors, maf sensor, dirty fuel( it has a new fuel filter), timing(could the crank be 180 out and it still run like it is?), or it's just possesed. Any ideas would be of so much help. Thanks.

The timing could be off as much as 4 teeth and it'd still run, but it wouldnt run right. I would think a few more teeth than that and it wouldnt start up at all.

Also, unless you have the turbo model 93 octane is pretty much a waste of money.

Your cam sensor will be on the driver side above the timing cover. It's a $40 fix brand new. The MAF sensor will run you about $30-40 used online. The fuel may be an issue and I'd say put an octane booster in there, but you have 93 in it currently.

And it may be possessed haha

I would check the timing first, since it's cheapest. Is it running bad at idle?

First rule of troubleshooting is to go back and look at what maintenance you did that could have changed the way the car is running. The most likely cause would be the timing belt since the car ran good before you replaced it.

I had the same problem when I put a 92 engine in my 90 legacy sedan. It needed a new timing belt because the one on it was no good. I had replaced timing belts on this car at least five times before but some how I got it on wrong this time and it ran REAL bad. After correcting it ran perfectly.

Thanks for the quick responses.

For the possible vacuum leak, i sprayed brake clean all around the intake and any hoses with the car running and no change.

For the idle question, this thing runs perfectly until it feels like bogging down(a little) and when it randomly feels like dying. so weird.

For the gas, 93 octane, i just remembered that when I first bought the car back in march..i think it was...it was dying like it is now until i started using the 93 octane. thats why i think i must be something with the fuel. could i possibly have some rust pieces and debris in the gas tank that is randomly clogging the filter up? could my fuel pump be going bad? is there a way to tell if it is actually going bad?

again thanks for the quick responses.

For the idle question, this thing runs perfectly until it feels like bogging down(a little) and when it randomly feels like dying. so weird. - That could be the MAF sensor. My RS did that. It got so bad it'd just stall on its own after idling for a few minutes.

Dang, that's weird about the fuel. Try putting one of those Lucas fuel treatments in there. They're like $4, but it's worth a shot. Well, I guess it could be some nasty crap floating around in the gas that you got from filling up right after the truck left or getting to the bottom of the tank at the station.

Never had a fuel pump go bad myself, but I would assume the car would shut off. Have you changed the fuel filter at all?

Yep, I am. Awesome, my girlfriend is going there now :D Mine's AWD and an auto. I have no quarrels with the FWD though, but I'd love a 5spd in my Legacy. The FWD's are good cars with good handling, even off-road. And they get better gas mileage. My brother used to have one.

I just changed the fuel filter. The funny thing is that its doing it less often now. Just at start up. I was thinking that maybe the computer needs to reset itself since I did ake the negative cable of during the job. A suby mechanic told me today that the new ones wont even idle for a few days after resetting the comp with taking the negative cable off. Im very perplexed.

I used to have a 96 Legacy Outback but sold it and went to a Nissan Hardbody. Motor blew, swapped it, and came back to the suby. I picked this one up for 700 bux. its real high in miles though. But it was good. I just got married so I needed something cheap that was a suby. But the fwd does bug me. I know....less moving parts=cheaper...but I love to rock climb. Thats my sport and awd/4wd is needed often and this puppy just doesnt get it done like the awd did. but we'll see how it is this winter.

So it runs ok after it's warmed up?

Heck, mine has been being stupid over these last few days. May be a cam sensor, but I'm not 100% and I dont know if the cam sensor for 98 2.5RS is the same as the 90 2.2 Legacy. I wouldnt think so, but I'd love to save money on a part that I'm going to just try hoping it'll fix my issues.

That's weird :/

It's been bogging down at times. Sometimes it runs fine, but others it runs like crap. After about 2300 RPM it's got nothing left unless I give it about 75% throttle. Sometimes it sounds like a cylinder isnt firing and the whole car shakes and after I shut it off and start it back up it runs fine. I can drive through it, but it's probably not great for it. It went away for a month or so and now it's back.

Archived