LegacyGT.com

Subimods Hella Harness - Sanity Check

ShadowImg

Good plan. You can buy those fancy connectors that they used for pennies from Newark.com, if you want to have a nicer looking harness.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to disagree. If you look at the pictures of the harness in the first post, and the harness I returned to you, you'll see that pin 30 of the relay is connected to the stock horn signal.

Hella diagram:

photo.JPG

Pin 30 should always be sourced from the fused battery connection.

So I spoke with Subimods wiring guy. Personally I'm going to assume these are just a mistake on their part, but they're claiming it's because the pin orientation on a 4 pin relay vs a 5 pin relay is different. I don't have a Hella 5 pin relay, so I can't comment. The relay I have is 4 pin, and the harness connector is clearly a 4 pin. As far as I am aware, automotive 12v relays, 4 pin or 5 pin use the same basic pin orientation.

5pin.jpg4pin.jpg

The problem I had is that pin 30 and pin 85 are swapped.

If you have a 4pin Hella relay and a Subimods harness, you should check this. If these are swapped, you need to fix your harness or have Subimods fix it. It will be wired incorrectly and you'll be feeding up to 15A (Hella's rating) through a 7.5A fused stock wiring circuit.

They were apologetic and helpful, and hopefully based on the harness I sent back to them they can figure out what's going on. Hopefully they get it all straightened out.

Well, there will be a stock relay and stock wiring along with the fuse. That wiring/fuse aren't rated past the load of the stock horns, which is less than 7.5A. Hella is indicating that you should provide at least 16A capacity to the supertones.

In practice it may be OK, but it's incorrect to run higher amperage through the stock system, and it isn't designed for it.

Hella moved to using a standard five pin relay in their kits so the diagram of the five pin relay above is correct however on the older four pin Hella relays numbers 30 and 86 are swapped. I went through this with Subimods a little earlier this year when Hella first made the swap and have bought a few since for friends and my gf's LGT. The only thing that needed to be changed (for a 4 pin relay) was swapping the wires that went to pins 30 and 86 (blue and black) Here is a diagram of the instructions that come with the horns http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4687/20110927094244313.jpg

If you look and follow everything back (I opened a harness to take a peek) they follow diagram 2b exactly with the only difference being they ground the horns and relay together instead of going to two seperate chassis grounds. I see where you may be confused but it really is that simple

They apparently also have a standard 4 pin, as the relay I got from Hella is a 4pin, wired standard DIN style as above.

So it sounds like there are at least 4 options from Hella relay wise.

The harness above is wired for a non-standard 5 pin.

You are saying they also have a standard layout 5pin.

I have a standard layout 4pin, which doesn't match their non-standard 5pin harness.

You also say they have a non-standard 4pin.

It would probably be a good idea for them to list out relay part numbers the harness is compatible with based on this. That's a lot of possibilities.

You wouldn't know it was wired incorrectly unless you specifically looked, that is the point of this thread.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah, after talking with them, I'm fairly confident they aren't wired incorrectly for all varieties. Thing is, they are incorrect for the ones I ordered recently. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in the vendor I got them from, so I'm pretty sure other people have the same issue.

*I* don't know all the variations in Hella's relay usage with the Supertones, but something that I think Subimods should be tracking and accounting for.

However, they aren't -- so caveat emptor -- and the above information is how you can verify yours.

once again my hella's stopped working this morning. I am not sure what is happening I do have the Subimods harness & hella relay (4 pin i believe) so I need to look at them when I get home. I am very bad with wiring so if one of your wiring experts could PM me a contact # when i get home later I def could use some help.

ShadowImg i sent you a PM

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

Why did they stop working? Did you blow the stock fuse?

I posted the wiring above, just follow that.

Do you have a multimeter?

From what he PM'd me, I'm going to guess he does not have a multimeter. Sounds like he's had his relay fail. I don't know how relays are rated in duty cycle for having the coil constantly energized, though I'd imagine it's not ideal. Somehow I suspect he actually just needs some dielectric grease, as he didn't apply any during the install. Suspect he'll know a lot more when he pops the relay off the harness connector and has a look.

No I do not have a multimeter however I just spoke with Calvin at Subimods and im gonna swing by the shop today. Its only like 10 minutes from my work so he said he would look at it for me so Im not scratching my head for an hour later tonight.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I just got back an hour ago from Subimods and I want to thank Calvin and Nick for helping me out. I am not technical at all regarding wiring and or how the relay should work ect but its fixed now and working properly.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

What was the problem?

Without getting technical because i have no clue what im talking about the relay went bad however I am really unsure how or why. If Nick from Subimods chimes in I am sure he can explain it better.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived