LegacyGT.com

92 center diff issues - parts are superceded

dbur

Hi,

I have a 92 Legacy L wagon 5sp with a locked center diff. I took it apart. See pics here:

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/47889673@N07/sets/72157627541490071/

The dealer replacement part number is 38434AA021 but that is not exactly like the original part. The original had two sets of roller bearings and the replacement has only one. Looks like they decided they didn't need them both and just left one out. Question is are the viscous clutch parts compatible with the same case? The new case cover style only has a surface for one roller bearing. (see pics 92 vs 95)

In addition the bearing surfaces in mine have strange marks. Looks bad, but you can't feel any roughness with your finger. The 95 one I have also has marks but not so severe. (See the pics).

At the dealer the center diff case cover part is NLA and they say to use a superseded part, which also says it requires a replacement case (lots of money). I can't see why the new cover wouldn't work with my old case. I can't measure any difference.

Also troublesome is the new case does not have the external rear shim washer. (see the first picture, the washer with bent tabs is that shim) The dealer could not find a supposed service bulletin on how to retrofit the newer parts. It's clear the new case has a shorter rear extension section as if they they intended to leave the shim out now.

Can anyone offer any advise? I'm not sure what to do next.:confused:

I've read all that has been posted on center diffs. One thing no one mentions is how they go through the process to adjust the shims for the swapped parts they put in. I have a service manual that says how to do it, but no explanation of how to deal with the newer parts that don't have the bent tab shim.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I didn't get any advice so I hopefully figured it out myself.

Comparing the 92 and 95 factory service manuals all the parts and shim setups are the same except the 95 leaves out the shim on the center diff case and the entire procedure of setting it up. The 95 case end without the shim matches the 92 case end with the shim. The overall case length is a bit shorter. This results in more end play for the CD case as installed on the shaft and in the extension case.

I can only conclude they decided that adjustment wasn't so critical and have now left it out. They ensure no binding up will occur by shortening the overall CD case length by ~.5mm (no shim). Slop is a little larger than you would have with a properly shimmed 92 CD case, but that must be OK.

It's back together and seems to be working.

Archived