LegacyGT.com

4EAT- best trans fluid/filter

• I Donated

I'm a pretty big fan of Duralast parts. They have always treated me well. Duralast has a filter / gasket kit for your car (part number TF222) for about $25....but its showing as an internal filter. IIRC, the 4EAT has a spin-on external filter (like a normal oil filter)....or is that just on the newer automatics? All of my Legacys have been 5MT lol. If you would like to stick with OEM parts, go see Brian at Subaru of Kennesaw (770) 419-9800. Or if you just don't feel like dealing with it at all, come see me at the shop and I'll give you a good deal.

Your car just uses regular Dexron III trans fluid.

I suggest this stuff

http://www.royalpurple.com/transmission-fluid.html

Its best to do 3 drain and fill services...replacing the filter on the last one. Drive 15 - 20 miles inbetween each service.

You don't have to use Royal Purple. It just seems to be better then others out there...however its pretty expensive. Really, you will be just fine using ANY name brand DexIII fluid.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I had good luck with Amsoil and only a single fluid change. Basically I took a chance, but it's been six months now and Tranny shifts beautiful.... Also changed out both Diffs with new Fluid - Severe Gear

Amsoil ATF

Amsoil Severe Gear

Edit - had my local mechanic do the work, and forgot to get a filter myself, so not sure what filter they used, but it must have been the standard parts filter they would have access too, so nothing special I'm sure....

Archived