LegacyGT.com

Tire Shaving and shop recommendation

maniaxzero

Since we all have subarus here, I'm sure most of you have heard about using matching tires on all four corners within 2/32 of tread or 1/4" circumference of the tire due to the nature of our AWD system.

1. What do you do when you damage a tire(pothole, blowouts), do you replace that one tire and shave it down to the same tread depth as the others, or do you replace all four tires?

2. Do you guys know any tire shop that will shave tires in the Queens/LI area? and approximately how much it cost?

3. Has anyone personally damaged their subaru awd drivetrain due to incorrect tires?

Would love to hear more advice/personal experience with subaru's and replacing tires.

My experience has been that it is at least difficult (if not impossible) to find a shop that will shave tires (aka true them). I've looked and didn't manage to find one anywhere near me. Eventually I realized that, luckily, the good three tires were still new enough that I could replace just the killed 4th and still be within spec on the tread depths.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived