LegacyGT.com

Oil consumption and gray smoke on acceleration

I actually live in Torrance, so that might make it a whole lot easier than leaving the car two hours away. If you don't mind me asking, how much was your rebuild, how long did it take, and what did you upgrade besides the pistons?

I did a lot of things, so it is hard to break out. I also did a transmission (3rd gear blew up) rebuild and installed a cusco 1 way diff.

In the engine:

generally removal, teardown, assembly labor

machine shop shortblock work

valve job, resurface, clean, rebuild heads

assemble shortblock 2.5

ACL Race Subaru Main Bearings

ACL Race Subaru HX rod bearings

JE Pistons - EJ257 - 100mm Bore.

gaskets

ARP Head Studs - EJ20/EJ25

killer b oil pickup

Gates Subaru 06-07 WRX & 04-10 STi & 05-09 LGT Timing Belt

Component Kit w/ Water Pump

oil, filter, coolant

NGK 04+STI /Legacy Iridium 4

dyno break in and tune

Is everything on the engine. If you break it out it is like $4500. The tune was $450 (at Church), so say $4k before the tune. Maybe a bit more after taxes. That said, you should get a tune because if you've blown a piston whatever tune you have sucks. $4k is pretty reasonable, and much cheaper you have to wonder what corners are being cut unless you're in a part of the country with really cheap labor rates.

Peter (Jamal on this forum) is the guy I dealt with and they did a pretty sweet job.

Compression test results were 124,124, 120,120. Not great, but definitely not dangerously low. The next step is to replace the intercooler as mine is splitting. The car used to be Stage2 before it was sold to me. I will keep an eye on the oil levels, but hopefully the major source of the leak is fixed.

Compression test results were 124,124, 120,120. Not great, but definitely not dangerously low. The next step is to replace the intercooler as mine is splitting. The car used to be Stage2 before it was sold to me. I will keep an eye on the oil levels, but hopefully the major source of the leak is fixed.

That is almost certainly fine. Remember that compression testers can be pretty inaccurate, so what you're looking for. Being within 4 psi is fine. I think you have a healthy motor.

Get a good, safe tune on it (I don't believe a stock tune or a generic map is safe) so it stays that way.

That is almost certainly fine. Remember that compression testers can be pretty inaccurate, so what you're looking for. Being within 4 psi is fine. I think you have a healthy motor.

Get a good, safe tune on it (I don't believe a stock tune or a generic map is safe) so it stays that way.

I will most likely get a tune from shamar, but I need to get a new TMIC first. On mine, the fingers are spreading and when I had a massive oil leak, the oil seeped through the TMIC, meaning that air is definitely escaping.

• 5 weeks later...

So I got an IPR TMIC installed, but the oil loss is still there. I am at halfway point on the dip stick after 500 mi after the last oil change when the PCV was replaced. I pulled the downpipe out today to check the turbo shaft play. The shaft seems to be solid without any play. I also didn't notice any oil at the turbo DP junction and the intercooler is oil free.

When the motor was cold, I revved it up past 5K and then saw some white smoke as the rpms started to drop. Doing the same resulted in no smoke after the motor ran for 10 mins. I wonder WTF is going on.

It seems to be similar to this: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2160188

But in your case I would say: worn valve guides/valve seals or possibly a pending ringland failure.

Remove spark plugs and inspect them, if one is darker/more soot than the others then you have a single cylinder problem, if not it's more likely to be a valve guide/seal problem.

453747.png

When the motor was cold, I revved it up past 5K and then saw some white smoke as the rpms started to drop. Doing the same resulted in no smoke after the motor ran for 10 mins. I wonder WTF is going on.

THe smoke was condensation that build up over night. That's normal.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I suppose the sudden surge of hot gas heated up the condensation rather quickly and it started to quickly evaporate. Typically, at the same temperature there is no white smoke as the engine slowly warms up.

Archived