LegacyGT.com

Potential Replica STi Door Sills

I am merely posting to get your feedback. Recently, we developed a set of prototype replica STi door sills for the WRX and STi guys. We are thinking about having the manufacturer develop a set for the Legacy but before we did, I wanted to get some feedback and find out what everybody would like if they could pick and choose, etc. What do you think? [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0800.jpg[/img] \All pictures of the prototypes door sills include the door sills just sitting (not attached) on top of the genuine STi door sills I have in my car. The prototype replicas will sit flush like the STi door sills and attach using 3M tape like the genuine sills. The replicas are made of high grade stainless steel. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Prototype Replica STi Door Sills:[/b] [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0778.jpg[/img] [b]Prototype Replica STi Door Sills Installed:[/b] [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0784.jpg[/img] [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0793.jpg[/img] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]OEM ORIGINALS from Japan: [/b] [img]http://www.xcceleration.com/images/wrx-door-sills1.jpg[/img] [b]OEM ORIGINALS from Japan Installed:[/b] [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0785.jpg[/img] [img]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/IMG_0786.jpg[/img] ------------------------------------------------------------------------- [b]Click here to see more pictures of our prototype and the OEM door sills:[/b] [url]http://kingofimports.com/pics/Prototype%20Door%20Sills/[/url] Our mission: Satisfy customers seeking unparalleled quality products and services for the Subaru community. Kevin King Of Imports, LLC [url]www.kingofimports.com[/url] [email]sales@kingofimports.com[/email]

I think that they would look nice on my RBP wagon. I just wouldn't want to rip up the one's that come on the GT right now. They are kinda nice, although they don't say STi they do say Subaru. IS there any way to get up the old sils while not destroying them or doing damage. I would maybe consider a set since I am a sucker for STi bits.. can you make them more like this? [img]http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/largeimage/3-8.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.subaru-sti.co.jp/parts/blbp_legacy/largeimage/3-8-2.jpg[/img] Or ar least the Logo? I think that the stainless steel look is nice though!

[quote name='bemani']I don't like your design. SS + double tape = tacky. Nothing more than a self imposed weight penalty. It'd be different if they were actual replicas though.[/quote] You're worried about the weight of door sils?

I don't like the replicas. Of course, I don't like the STi door sills, because it isn't an STi, it's a Legacy GT, so the Subaru door sills are lovely, and quite sufficient. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']I don't like the replicas. Of course, I don't like the STi door sills, because it isn't an STi, it's a Legacy GT, so the Subaru door sills are lovely, and quite sufficient. Kevin[/quote] STi isn't only a designation, it's a parts manufacturer.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='gtguy']I don't like the replicas. Of course, I don't like the STi door sills, because it isn't an STi, it's a Legacy GT, so the Subaru door sills are lovely, and quite sufficient. Kevin[/quote] STi isn't only a designation, it's a parts manufacturer.[/quote] Trust me, I am fully aware of this. STi badging belongs on an STi-specific part that, to my view, enhances the performance of the car. Such badging is on the lateral links, for example, that are under my WRX, or the various other STi parts that exist on said vehicle. These parts augment performance. Explain to me how performance is enhanced by a door sill? It's posing, pure and simple, parts offered because Subaru knows from the WRX, that people like to pose. The door sill that comes on the car says that it is a Subaru. Are we then, to infer, by the exchage of the Subaru sills for STi ones, that the car in question is now an STi? That's up to the individual owner. To me, it's foolishness, like the guys getting STi grilles and leaving the STi badge on, or getting STi badging for their WRXes, mimicing the whole "Type R" hooey. But to each their own. I'm an acknowledged prig. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Trust me, I am fully aware of this. STi badging belongs on an STi-specific part that, to my view, enhances the performance of the car. Such badging is on the lateral links, for example, that are under my WRX, or the various other STi parts that exist on said vehicle. These parts augment performance. Explain to me how performance is enhanced by a door sill? It's posing, pure and simple, parts offered because Subaru knows from the WRX, that people like to pose. The door sill that comes on the car says that it is a Subaru. Are we then, to infer, by the exchage of the Subaru sills for STi ones, that the car in question is now an STi? That's up to the individual owner. To me, it's foolishness, like the guys getting STi grilles and leaving the STi badge on, or getting STi badging for their WRXes, mimicing the whole "Type R" hooey. But to each their own. I'm an acknowledged prig. Kevin[/quote] Oh, I'm sure you are aware of that, i'm not attempting to belittle you, just stating an oposing opinion. STi parts aren't ALL "performance" as you know. Many parts/accessories offered are purely asthetic, giving the vehicle a more sporty "look" and "feel." Whether or not you agree is not in question. I think that having these said parts don't make you a poser at all. It's similar not to putting Type-R door sills on a normal civic, it's more similar to putting Mugen door sills on a Civic, a in-house (JDM) parts manufacurer. Putting a blanket statement over all the potential buyers of such parts by calling them all posers is far from accurate, because you don't know why they like such pieces, only why you don't. But as you said, to each their own.

I agree with monkey on this one, sorry kevin. I know that the STi monicker does designate a certain "factory tuned" model of these cars, but it also if a part manufacturer that does provide parts for our car's that don't come on the STi versions themselves. Again, enthusiasm for a performance division is different than rebadging a car as something different. In the same light, I would not put an STi badge on the back of my car simply because that would give the impression that the "type-r" badge would give, which is that it's a different model than it is. Beleive me, nothing makes me laugh more than this practice amongst certain car owners. I know that there is a fine line between the two, but there definitely is a line. We could go around about this for days. I like STi accessories. I appreciate the heritage that they symbolize. One thing that you said correctly though is that the Subaru sils that come on the legacy are indeed sharp. A detail that hasn't been incorporated into any Subaru outside of STi editions (to my knowledge).

Oh, I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. That's the beauty of opinion. I think that "enthusiasm for a performance division" reaches the pinnacle of silliness when that enthusiasm manifests itself in something as fundamentally useless as door sills. But as I said, people can get STi whatever, and festoon their cars with whatever they want. It's their car. But it won't stop me laughing whenever I see it. Kevin

[quote name='bemani']I don't like your design. SS + double tape = tacky. Nothing more than a self imposed weight penalty. It'd be different if they were actual replicas though.[/quote] Bemani, The STi sills for the Impreza are stick on too. Maybe the legacy is different. Is it a full replacement door sill? If so, that would be a superior design. I appreciate the feedback.

[quote name='gtguy']Oh, I don't care if anyone agrees with me or not. That's the beauty of opinion. I think that "enthusiasm for a performance division" reaches the pinnacle of silliness when that enthusiasm manifests itself in something as fundamentally useless as door sills. But as I said, people can get STi whatever, and festoon their cars with whatever they want. It's their car. But it won't stop me laughing whenever I see it. Kevin[/quote] So if I had a full STi suspension and STi go fast bit's then in your opinion could I adorn the STi sils? Of course, you have said (in so many words) that the GT should not be molested in anyway by suspension goodies or power goodies (again in your opinion). Since I ordered the STi shift kit and the STi pedals, is that silly or how would you define those purchases? Just trying to give the "Forum Nay-Sayer" a hard time ;):lol:

Here are some pics.. [img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/llbeandoor_small.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/libertygt_007.jpg[/img] I know there is one more real good one but I can't find it right now. Oh, wait.. here it is :D [img]http://www.legacysti.com/files/dsc00663.jpg[/img]

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com'][quote name='bemani']I don't like your design. SS + double tape = tacky. Nothing more than a self imposed weight penalty. It'd be different if they were actual replicas though.[/quote] Bemani, The STi sills for the Impreza are stick on too. Maybe the legacy is different. Is it a full replacement door sill? If so, that would be a superior design. I appreciate the feedback.[/quote] See the picture posted by dr zevil - its a full replacement. Not stick on like the Impreza.

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']This is why I am glad I tested the market! I can get the original STi door sills for the legacy. Can anybody tell me what they are made of?[/quote] They are plastic with a small embossed metal plate inserted into it. It's basically a replacement of the plastic trim already on the car. IMO, your replicas would probably do well on eBay. A lot of people buy accessories just for the look and that's really the majority of the aftermarket. Why else would all the stuff sold at Pep Boys sell quickly off the shelf? Because it says Fast and Furious on it (just an anology). The same can be said for parts that say STi on them. Although they don't all enhance vehicle performance, many buyers just want it for the look. The same can not be said about the enthusiasts on this, and other, Subaru forums. these are the core group that knows exactly what they're buying. With that said, I like the effort you made on these replicas. I'd suggest adding the faux rivets though to add a little character. 8)

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']So if I had a full STi suspension and STi go fast bit's then in your opinion could I adorn the STi sils? Of course, you have said (in so many words) that the GT should not be molested in anyway by suspension goodies or power goodies (again in your opinion). Since I ordered the STi shift kit and the STi pedals, is that silly or how would you define those purchases? Just trying to give the "Forum Nay-Sayer" a hard time ;):lol:[/quote] The STi pedals are bling. People claim that they help heel-toeing, but they don't. They just look cool when you look down, which shouldn't be often, because you're a) driving or b) out of the freakin' car. You ordered the STi shift kit. Great. That has no bearing on what you can adorn your car with, IMHO. There was a guy who had STi badging and stickers on his WRX wagon, which had Tein springs on stock struts, Rota wheels and some other stuff. My WRX wagon had STi brake lines, struts, springs, stainless clutch hose, lateral/trailing/swaybar links, strut tops and front control arm bushings. And I wouldn't have thought for an instant about putting an STi dress-up part on my car. It's not an STi. I had an STi grille, with the STi badge removed. I came to my senses, and sold it. I admit to being a hard-ass when it comes to that kind of stuff, something of particular sensitivity now that there is in fact a USDM STi. Further, the pics of the stock sills that you posted look great. They look even better in person. If someone were to come up with Legacy GT sills, that would be cool. I wouldn't get them, but those would be cool. But I always think of STi in two ways: a stand-alone car, or a tuning company that sells performance improvement parts. Sills don't improve performance, though they might improve self-esteem of the driver. And what I have said is that the GT shouldn't be molested by suspension and power mods that are [b]not well thought-out[/b], such as putting JDM STi springs on USDM struts, when we don't know the strut valving of dampers in this market. Negative handling artifacts will result. I would also stay clear of the race to be first to market with power mods, because long-term reliability could be affected. You're right, it is just me, but if it came down to $1k for reflash and mufflers, or $1K for driving school, point me toward the track. People can do what they want with their cars, but discussions such as this one are one reason I would never buy a used WRX, unless I knew the owner and his predilections. Looks like we can add the Legacy to that list. Finally, I don't consider myself the board naysayer, any more than I did over at NASIOC, where the kids were running amok. I do consider myself the voice of reason. Perhaps if somebody thinks about what they're doing, they won't bolt up 24mm swaybars, 45mm offset wheels and Slam-O brand springs, then wonder why their GT handles like crap. Is there a place for that kind of thinking in a space such as this one? Increasingly, and almost in direct proportion to the member count increase, no. So I guess I'll just be, as John Glenn (played by Ed Harris) said in "The Right Stuff," "a lonely beacon of restraint in a squall of car crazies." Kevin

You do pose some good points such as the fact that the actual STi model in the US puts a different perspective on STi badging, but it's still a WRX or even more basic an impreza. Saying that you came to your senses and sold an STi grill that's a JDM piece is completely silly. Nobody would ever know that it's a piece from another car (unless they know the JDM STi) and it completely changes the look of the front end, for the better. <shakes head> For some reason it must have bothered you. I don't know why. I also wasn't aware that you have driven the legacy with and without the STi pedals. Anyway, I hope you didn't get offended by having me call you the Forum Nay-Sayer.. I thought you would get a kick out of it.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']You do pose some good points such as the fact that the actual STi model in the US puts a different perspective on STi badging, but it's still a WRX or even more basic an impreza. Saying that you came to your senses and sold an STi grill that's a JDM piece is completely silly. Nobody would ever know that it's a piece from another car (unless they know the JDM STi) and it completely changes the look of the front end, for the better. <shakes head> For some reason it must have bothered you. I don't know why. I also wasn't aware that you have driven the legacy with and without the STi pedals. Anyway, I hope you didn't get offended by having me call you the Forum Nay-Sayer.. I thought you would get a kick out of it.[/quote] I sold the STi grille because I am against dress-up parts. Not my style. It was one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. Were it not a grille from an STi, I might have ultimately felt differently about it, but I doubt it. I haven't driven the GT with the STi pedals, but unless the STi pedals are significantly wider than the stock pedals (they aren't), how can they make it any easier to heel-toe? I know I could easily heel-toe in the GT and base Outback, so I'm not worried. No worries about the naysayer thing, I did, however, want to clarify that what is being a naysayer to one, is simply being reasonable to another. Kevin

It seems like the door sills are more of a rally inspired part not necessarily a match with the upscale Legacy crowd. If the Legacy sills are made of plastic, then I will not pursue a new project. Currently, we are overburdened. I want to thank everyone for your input before this thread turns into something other than what it was intended. I will be stocking the genuine STi door sills for the Legacy in the future if you believe some will be interested in this part. Expect the Legacy site to be up in the next couple of weeks as we receive pricing from Japan. Kevin @ kingofimports.com King Of Imports, LLC [url]www.kingofimports.com[/url]

[quote name='gtguy'] I haven't driven the GT with the STi pedals, but unless the STi pedals are significantly wider than the stock pedals (they aren't), how can they make it any easier to heel-toe? I know I could easily heel-toe in the GT and base Outback, so I'm not worried. [/quote] Well it depends on the shoes you wear but it is possible for your foot to slide off the brake pedal when you turn your foot to blip the throttle with a plastic pedal, especially if you're light on the brakes. I did it more than a few times in my Honda, very dangerous. The rubber on the aluminum pedals has more grip, so I think it helps me.

[quote name='kevin@kingofimports.com']It seems like the door sills are more of a rally inspired part not necessarily a match with the upscale Legacy crowd. If the Legacy sills are made of plastic, then I will not pursue a new project. Currently, we are overburdened. I want to thank everyone for your input before this thread turns into something other than what it was intended. I will be stocking the genuine STi door sills for the Legacy in the future if you believe some will be interested in this part. Expect the Legacy site to be up in the next couple of weeks as we receive pricing from Japan. Kevin @ kingofimports.com King Of Imports, LLC [url]www.kingofimports.com[/url][/quote] No worries.. this thread hasn't become anything significant. I can't wait to see the new website!

Archived