LegacyGT.com

Car running without AC belt on.

Hey

I was wondering if it's possible to take the AC compressor belt off. I don't need the AC and I have the whole system empty, no freon and I know there is just the compressor on that belt. There is any advantage or it just doesn't matter too much.

Subaru Legacy L 1996 2.2

Thank you.

Without the A/C belt on, reverse polarity will build in the condenser. This wouldn't be too much of an issue on most vehicles, but on these cars the condenser is in close proximity to the regulator coil, and it is possible for that charge to be offloaded through the coil to the secondary circuit. If that happens, you will likely lose all the primary systems and avionics. It is also possible that any redundant systems with cross-linked connections into omni-present devices such as the glass cockpit displays or the joystick controls will also be adversely affected. This is not something you want to happen, especially on a foggy day as you will most likely be forced to go VFR, so I'd say leave the belt on.

Without the A/C belt on, reverse polarity will build in the condenser. This wouldn't be too much of an issue on most vehicles, but on these cars the condenser is in close proximity to the regulator coil, and it is possible for that charge to be offloaded through the coil to the secondary circuit. If that happens, you will likely lose all the primary systems and avionics. It is also possible that any redundant systems with cross-linked connections into omni-present devices such as the glass cockpit displays or the joystick controls will also be adversely affected. This is not something you want to happen, especially on a foggy day as you will most likely be forced to go VFR, so I'd say leave the belt on.

best...post...EVER!

^^wait, WTF? : \

VFR, reverse polarity, avionics.....dang where's the Flux Capacitor in this here dang Deloreon....and where the hell are we going to get the 1.21 gigawats to make that baby go?!?

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/D08B1AEF-orig.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/5F79F4E6-orig.jpg

Oooooo, I got it...:eek:

only down side is that the compressor, if not used for a period of time or used without being full can breakdown. used compressor are still like 300 bucks or something. if you never ever wanna use it again then hell just cut the belt off.

I'm never gonna use A/C on this car, I was thinking even to take the compressor out.

• I Donated

Go ahead and take the belt off. It will help your engine rev a little bit more free and give you a few extra horses. The compressor adds quite some weight, along with the AC lines and condenser. Take those out too.

You won't hurt anything by doing so

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived