LegacyGT.com

coilovers vs springs + koni (or bilsteins)

Hmm, $1700 from the site for the RCE Tarmacs...

So basically, for the Epic/Koni setup, I'm looking at:

$241 for springs from FBP

$626 for Koni front and rear (where else can I get it cheaper? I guess I'll have to shop around)

Total $867 +... what else do I need? There are other things I should replace too, right?

And for RCE, I see from their site it's going for:

http://racecompengineering.com/osc/product_info.php?cPath=21_29_35&products_id=60&osCsid=1f06369eea3fd9deee0ce2d35ba20a35

$1700 and I'm assuming I would need a few more items in addition to just the coilovers.

What about these from FBP? KW Variant 2 coilovers?

$1732 + whatever else I need.

I can afford any of these options, but I don't want to plop the money down unless I feel it's "worth" it. Worth is very subjective too of course. Damn, wish I could test drive the setups before forking over the money haha.

Thanks for everyone's responses so far!

What sucks is that even if you could test them out, the way they're dialed in is going to greatly affect the way they feel and perform. You'd have to adjust dampening, ride height and where applicable rebound to your liking/situation. Pretty easy with the spring and strut set up. Put them on and go.

____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

I believe with the koni struts you will need to buy the spec b front top hats Because the koni struts were made for the jdm legacy and that's the same suspension on the spec b won't fit in the stock ones. Plus you have to cut the front housings of the stock struts, backs are direct fit.

From what I've been reading, I don't think I need Spec B tophats for the Konis. They're cut a strut and just replace the cartridge inside the strut housing.

A) Koni front shock assembled into strut housing

B) OEM dust cover (P/N 20322AG00A, qty.1/side)

C) OEM top mount (P/N 20320AG00A, qty.1/side)

D) Nut & Lock-washer from Koni kit

E) OEM bump stop (P/N 20321AA201, qty.1/side)

F) OEM conical washer (P/N 20326AA000, qty.1/side)

G) OEM upper spring seat (P/N 20323AG00A, qty.1/side)

H) Epic Engineering front spring

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/koni-shock-strut-epic-engineering-spring-install-145744.html

Bilstein HDs will require SpecB tophats.

for me ion springs were pretty stiff compared to swifts which i have right now. swifts are nice but its soft and bouncy. if ion springs were lower i would have kept them.

KW coils is something i want next but not anytime soon maybe when my blistens gives out ill change it then.

I believe with the koni struts you will need to buy the spec b front top hats Because the koni struts were made for the jdm legacy and that's the same suspension on the spec b won't fit in the stock ones. Plus you have to cut the front housings of the stock struts, backs are direct fit.

Koni's work with the usdm kyb tophats.

100% INCORRECT. You must use either USDM Spec Strut tops or add in a washer/spacer for the Group N/SpecB Top hats to work with the Konis.

-mike

I submit that a koni/spring combo will give you better performance all around compared to a discount coilover kit.

I agree with you on this 100%. I ran pinks + konis and they were an awesome setup for a dual purpose street and track car. If I were to build a track-only car, then a set of good quality coilovers would be what I would get but I would not want to drive it on them as a DD.

The low-cost coilovers are great if you NEED to have a particular height for astetic(sp?) purposes or you feel you NEED coilovers. We carry the Fortune Auto ones as an entry level coilover for those customers who insist on coils for whatever reason. Our position is that budget coilovers are not made for performance and certainly not made for a street/daily driver car. Yes I know if there are some folks who say they aren't bad, no one complains etc. If you can take your MIL out for a ride through manhattan or brooklyn with them and they don't utter a peep that is my gauge :)

-mike

Highway driving with coilovers sounds like it'd be fine unless your highways really, really, REALLY suck.

I'm worried about NYC roads, that's REALLY what's preventing me from dropping the $ on coilovers.

I still like my Koni/eibach combo. 1.5 turns from full soft in the front and 1 in the back. It's firmer than stock but rebound is controlled much better than stock and I don't get any harsh hits unless the bumps are really big.

If you lower your car regardless of how you do it, I'd look into getting the whiteline roll center & bump steer kit. I have found my car to be more controlled over bumps and through corners after installing this kit.

As my 05 GT Wagon has turned into a track toy, what are good quality coilovers? And how bad would they be for highway driving?

For a LGT, the KWs are going to be a good quality setup. My problem is that unless it's a track car and I mean trailered, gutted, caged, etc. There is no reason to put coilovers in. DDing on coilovers will also cause you to have to rebuild them much more often. If you live in an area where there is any kind of weather, then that takes an additional toll on them.

Coilovers are designed and built for racing, most race cars come off track, go into the trailer and then are cleaned, adjusted and gone over before the next race. That is why most racing components are not suitable for street driving.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I'm going to take the plunge and probably get some BC's. I'll let you know how they feel. Some of the roads where I live are horrible. I just think of the roads by the whitestone cinemas in the Bronx by the drawbridge. I've bent a rim or two driving on it.
____Spending funds in mass quantities! I keep telling myself it's just a hobby?

Today, I met up with shrike201, another LGTer. He has KW coilovers on his car and it didn't feel that harsh to me. Took a quick spin around the block and they felt okay. Granted there weren't any ginormous bumps in the street or anything, but it felt fine to me.

A thing that he mentioned though... he said that he's getting some bad rubbing in the front when he's turning fast. He has Enkei RPF1s (I think) from Tirerack and 225/45 R17 tires... The drop in the coilovers is, what... about 1"? Am I going to get rubbing on my Volk CE28N 18x8.5 +47 with 225/40 R18 or stock wheels with 225/40 R17??

• 2 weeks later...

Is Shrike setup with front LCA offset bushings? Offset LCAs can push the wheel forward enough to rub the inside front of the fender liner. Shouldn't be the case with that size wheel/tire and a 1" drop even with zero camber. I'd expect it with say a 1.5"-2.0" drop.

You should have no issues with the size(s) you're looking at. I run 225/40x18 on Volk GT-V 18x8 and 225/40x17 on the stockers on Bilstein/Swift Wagon and could get away with -.5*R and 0*F camber and not rub. I'm lowered about 1.25" all the way around.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• I Donated
Yeah, same with me except im in DC.....sigh.

I can give you a ride in my car (Konis with stock springs) tomorrow, since we'll both be at the meet in Frederick. I have the Konis set at full hard in front and about 2/3 in back, and I love the ride and handling with the stock springs. (I like the lowered look, but stock height is just more practical for me.) I had cheap coilovers on my Infiniti, and the ride SUCKED. The Konis are miles above.

• 2 months later...
I can give you a ride in my car (Konis with stock springs) tomorrow, since we'll both be at the meet in Frederick. I have the Konis set at full hard in front and about 2/3 in back, and I love the ride and handling with the stock springs. (I like the lowered look, but stock height is just more practical for me.) I had cheap coilovers on my Infiniti, and the ride SUCKED. The Konis are miles above.

Did it do anything for rear squat? I am not a fan of the rear stock spring rates..

had koni's and cobb springs, mostly highway driving very nice, little harsh in boston though, but overall i loved them

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

Archived