LegacyGT.com

Restoring a 99' Lego GT 5mt

Alright gents, I bought my 5mt Lego and I'm slowly trying to fix it up a piece at a time. The CEL has been on since I got it and there is a engine knock. No erratic idle. I can sence some slight hesitation when I "gun" it on the highway. What I really want to do is swap that tired engine outta there but I think for the time being I'd have to settle for just getting the car in order first.

The gas milage is awesome compared to my guzzler 2JZ engine.

I wanted to pass this website (posted below) by the fellas on here and see what you all think about this as an option to keep the existing EJ25D in the bay till I can make a good plan of action that's gonna run me some serious doe ray me....

http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=23171

Couldnt you get a used wrx engine for that kinda money? But it would be cool I wont deny that.

I got the same car. Been doing some here and there. I was thinking a forester motor. You can get 300whp out of that with little money. Plus there is less demand for it so its cheap speed.

What color is yours? Miles? Price? Give me the specs.

Tyrael, my Sube is the color known as Black Granite pearl. I'm not a fan of it. I have the front passenger fender (original doors were dented BEYOND repair) and both passenger side doors that I bought off of a outback painted matte black. I have a friend that owns a dealer here in town so I got the car at wholesale price for 2,500 and some change. The car had 98k when I bought her. From what I can tell the previous owner didn't do squat for maintenance on the car, it was a mess! I've got the heated seats and the sunroof. The only true reason I bought her (wanted a BD legacy) was because of the 5mt and the AWD! This car is fun as hell!

What year Forester? Don't they have the 2.5L boxer only it's a single cam? There is one at the same pick and pull along with a H6 EZ30D outback. Tempting....but if I did the swap I know that I'd hunt for a EZ30R. Right now I just want to look for getting the car running the proper way and restore the body. I know the 2,100 looks like some money but won't it be less overall to just rebuild that EJ25D before I do a bad boy swap? Kinda enjoying the bad ass gas milage that this car is providing for me at the moment.

O jealous the only option I dont have is heated seats. I have 99 2.5GT 5speed. Mine is white though with the gold wheels. Got mine for 4K but it didnt have any dents or dings. Funny thing was I knew the guy at the dealer that sold mine as well lol.

Hmmm I could be wrong about the forester engine. I used to see the turbo ones from like 06 on ebay for pretty cheap. None are available right now though. But anyway my idea behind it was just to put a stock sohc forest xt engine and with a good tune, header and exhaust you would be making some very respectable numbers.

What would be a good car to pull seats from that are heated?

dude, buy a wrecked wrx if you want the 2.0 or an Sti if you want the 2.5 and swap everything over and then stage 2 tune it. that would cost less and give you something better to start off with and save you a crap load of money by the time your done

I'm really wanting to stay with 2.5L displacement on the ole leggy. I know that the 2.2L is probably the most bullet proof engine available I just don't want a lagging underpowed motor. I like the torque that the higher displacement offers. In the final stage of my BD I want to shoot for the H6. For now I'm just looking to find cheap ways to restore this motor. This open deck phase I isn't going to handle a turbo either from what I hear. I'm ok with this for the moment!

• I Donated

TX,

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do. Are you wanting to turbo the EJ25D or just beef up the internals.

If your just wanting to beef up the internals and run stock power without a turbo, its a waste of money. Just buy stock stuff. You can do a complete 100% stock rebuild of an EJ25D (parts and labor included) for LESS then it costs you to buy that kit....and the kit doesn't even have all the parts you need.

If you're wanting to turbo your EJ25D, think twice before you do that. Its a fully open deck engine and does not handle boost very well. There is no fix for that...you can beef up the internals all you want....but its the BOCK its self that is the weak point. If you want turbo, find a different engine.

I don't know if you have read the turbo FAQ (link here)...if you haven't, then take a few minutes to read through it. It explains a little bit why the EJ25D is NOT a good engine for performance

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Brok,

I was writing at the same time that you were looks like! Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to just rebuild this old knocker of an engine till

I can afford to swap in a bad boy. I have so much other stuff to fix and work with the suspension till I can seek higher HP.

I've read all about the old EJ25D and how it is basically unmodable. Sending her to the Doctor's office to find out what the knocking is all about this coming week. I'm thinking about a 2K budget to work with to get the engine back up to it's original condition.

I've been working on my BD so hard. The body was just so ding'ed up and the motor just knocks. Think I'm just gonna do what Brokn says and get a runnin' EJ25D and just drop that in till I've got real money for a real swap. Guess, I'll just work on suspension/Brakes till then.

Archived