LegacyGT.com

Losing power to stereo, climate control

whiskywizard

I've searched here but didn't find anything similar... Could use some advice.

I'm intermittently losing power to the stereo and climate controls. I'll be driving and the radio and A/C displays will go blank. Sometimes a bump in the road does it. If I tap the face of the stereo, the displays will come back up. Sometimes the stereo volume drops to 0, sometime it will continue to play, but with blank displays. Has anyone experienced this?

2007 Legacy specB. No significant mods.

Sounds like there's a loose connection somewhere. Easiest thing to start with would be pulling the head unit out and making sure the harness is connected securely and that none of the wires are coming loose from the harness.

It could be something loose/damaged internally though, in which case you'd have to open up the unit to repair it or replace it.

MODS: PW TMIC, Cobb catted DP, HKS cat-back, AVO filter, Bren e-tune; Konis/Epics, Advan RCII

Does the display just go out or do you lose audio too? My display would flicker and go out from time to time but the radio would still work. I removed the radio took off the faceplate which i believe is 6 screws around the bezel. I then rubbed the connectors behind the faceplate and radio with alcohol wipes. Problem never came back.

• 3 weeks later...

My '07 Spec B does this too, but only if I have the stereo off, for some reason. Also, the climate control still works, but I just can't see the displays. Tapping doesn't get mine to light back up, I have to shut the car off and restart, and it'll resume.

Doesn't happen to me often, because my stereo isn't off much.

Following up with the resolution....

I pulled the stereo/HVAC control unit out of the dash and disconnected all leads. I sprayed the terminals on the head unit and the plugs on the wires (used Fluid Film) and re-installed. So far, the problem seems to be 100% fixed.

I recently had this issue. Both displays would flicker in and out and then eventually everything died. I had to have the HVAC/Head Unit replaced by the dealer. In fact, when the dealer was troubleshooting the issue they said that they could rotate the head unit and strange things would happen (volume going up and down, couldn't turn on/off) so I think there is an internal short on some units.

• 3 months later...
I've been having this issue every now and then. except mine doesn't come on when i turn the car on. I have to turn the car off/on again and THEN it will come on. have not searched for the resolution yet.
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I've been having this issue every now and then. except mine doesn't come on when i turn the car on. I have to turn the car off/on again and THEN it will come on. have not searched for the resolution yet.

I posted the resolution in post #7 above.

Archived