LegacyGT.com

Oil Leak 98 2.5gt

Not a first time Subaru Owner, I myself have owned both an 01, and 02 Legacy. This is however, the first time I've really dealt with a 2nd gen.

My my roommate just bought a 98 LGT, 2.5 5speed with 160K for 900 bucks on my recommendation. (Hes been trying to find something a little more reliable than his 02 bagged s10.) Only problems with the car are a window switch is broken but functional, power antenna is stuck up, the shifter bushings are so loose i thought i was in neutral and not first when i got in it, and most of all, a mild oil leak (on a scale of 1-10[worse], about a 5).

Guy we got it from said it spun timing, and he bought it from a dude for 150 bucks. Guy did timing, replaced damaged parts, head gaskets, water pump, etc. He stated he wanted to get it running and have a quick turn around as he didn't have the time to dick around with it with his kids, work, and family life.

Car has no smoke from tailpipe, radiator, or crankcase or oil filler. I have pulled the timing covers and verified he has done timing, and that the leak is not coming from any seals up there. The oil filter is on good, and from what i can tell, the leak is not coming from the oil pan. I just changed the plugs last night as P0304 (C4 Misfire) CEL was popping up, and thought it may as well be done, but there was no abnormal burning on them. Looking at the bottom of the engine, from what I can see there is no head gasket leakage, its hard for me to see the top (so many vacuum lines compared to mine), but it doesn't appear to be from there.

We are changing the oil tonight, as the oil in it seems to be of really, really shitty quality and seems very thin, although there is no coolant in there.

Just wondering, where should be the next places to check for this damn leak!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, it is oil, spots on the ground after sitting overnight about 3-6in diameter. Wherever the leak is, it does get on the exhaust, and also, seems to collect to and drip off of the jack up plate.

Also, know it is leaking oil because that is the only fluid that goes away over time, lol.

Well, I retract my previous statement. Here are the leaks, and somehow they culminate into one puddle, and do not leak into the timing cover... Im confused.

Backside of timing cover, facing front of car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tweekshook/S__CB41.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tweekshook/S__CB411.jpg

I agree with ^. I cant 100 percent tell from the pictures but that is what it looks like. Mybe try and snap a few more pictures (less blurry) if you can. But if you want to check yourself, just take the couple 10mm bolts out and take off your covers and you should be able to tell if your cam seals are leaking, but to be certain you can take the sprockets off. I cant tell from the pictures if your valve covers gaaskets are leaking too.

• I Donated

Your cam seals are leaking.

If you replace them, its best to do the timing belt and water pump with it since it has to come off anyways

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I appreciate all the responses. Was hard to take pictures at night while lying under car, lol. As I already stated, there is no oil inside the front cover at all, and timing/wp was literally done less than 1k miles ago. Looks like a weekend of work for me!

Archived